Kitchen lights

We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which no longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of light, which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst cooking. Not so good later on when sitting down to eat in the kitchen.
It's time to change them for something more modern. I think what ideally we need is:
1. A reasonably diffuse light source, to avoid sharp shadows. 2. Dimmable. 3. Ideally, able to change light temperature. 4. Look nice - quite frankly most things will be an improvement.
Can anyone suggest anything suitable, please?

I've used recessed Enlite LED fittings from CPC. Said to be dimmable but we'll see. Range of Wattages.

--
Tim Lamb

On 08/12/2017 19:02, Tim Lamb wrote:

LED panels fitted flush to the ceiling 4 x 12 watt but mine are not dimmable but light output is bright, this for 24 foot long kitchen.
replying to GB, Iggy wrote: For those requirements, I'd think your best bet would be an up-light arrangement ( http://www.diy.com/departments/reya-nickel-effect-5-lamp-pendant-ceiling-light/257713_BQ.prd ). This, will give you a Northern Light effect and make shadows much less harsh while still accepting dimmable LED's or CFL's.
On Saturday, 9 December 2017 03:14:09 UTC, Iggy wrote:

that is not an uplight

it doesn't

yes, but the fitting shown is generally used in or near the middle of the room, not the best option for a kitchen.

plurals don't have apostrophes
replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote: Yes, it's an up-light, the exposed or naked bulbs are up and where the most light is released.

Yes, reflection creates a very much Northern Type Lighting, exactly why it's used by photographers.

Yes, and is up to the user to decide if they want more than one fixture, he had 4 previously and may need 2 for the best results.

Yes, acronyms are legally pluralized by either an apostrophe or a hyphen (just ugly and can be mistaken for a different model), a lowercase "s" is only legal when the acronym is capitalized though many spell checkers fail them (CFLs, CFL-s or CFL's).
On Saturday, 9 December 2017 15:14:06 UTC, Iggy wrote:

almost none of that correct as ever. I see no point replying further.
On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 07:58:34 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

He can use an many apostrophes as he likes as far as I'm concerned, just make him stop using HomeOwnersHub!
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
On Sunday, 10 December 2017 21:42:30 UTC, Graham. wrote:

Wh'o needs basic literacy.

Which means a large area of lights - like your tubes - or it bounced off a white ceiling, etc.

Any domestic lighting can be dimmed. Even fluorescents. Suitable LEDS with suitable dimmers too.

That one is going to be more difficult. Unless you actually just mean to change the colour.

A problem in that lights which look good may not give the sort of working light you need.

--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 00:32:57 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Really they're not difficult to achieve. Over counter lighting plus uplight ing onto the ceiling. You can use dimmers or switchbank, the latter are bet ter. A mix of cool white or daylight plus warm white on a switchbank can gi ve you almost any mix of colour and brightness you like.
NT

Anything *can* be done - depending on how much new wiring and installation you're willing and able to do. And how much you're willing to spend.
My over counter lighting where there are wall cupboards is concealed fluorescents (tubes behind a plinth. On a dimmer. Other worktop lighting is halogen downlighters - enough to give an even light. Also on dimmers.
Beauty of halogen is the way they go 'red' when dimmed. Exactly as needed for relaxed lighting. The reason I'm staying with them. I'm one of those rare people who want lighting to do what I want, before just saving money on running costs. But my kitchen has also a dining area, so perhaps more dual purpose than many.
--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

That's interesting, but I definitely want the energy efficiency of LEDs. I don't want to run new wiring, as that's too disruptive. I just want to get the best substitute for the old fluorescent fittings.
On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 13:03:35 +0000

Wireless switches or dimmers could give you lots of flexibility without requiring any new wiring.
On 11/12/2017 23:33, Rob Morley wrote:

That's a great idea, thanks.

Well I do mean to change the colour - daylight for food prep, changed to warm white when we eat.
I have more or less decided that what we want are some LED panel lights that can be screwed to the ceiling. I'll check the output but 4 600x300 panels should do it, or possibly 600x600s. Some of those can be dimmed, apparently. But I can't seem to find any that also let you change the colour temperature/colour. If that's not possible, we'll compromise and probably just go for some warm white lights. Am I currently looking for something that doesn't exist?

I think the panels are an improvement on the fluorescents we currently have. :)

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 12:45:12 UTC, GB wrote:

will create lots of shadows
NT
GB wrote:

Don't know about 600mm versions, but some panels have both warm and cool LEDs and alternate between them each time you turn them on.
these aren't cheap, other may be
<https://www.ledecolite.co.uk/rgb-cct-colour-changing-panels.html
What is actually wrong with the lights? If you can repair them them they should not give shadows and the right colour temp tubes can be appealing. However one could also fit some other more moody lights elsewhere when you want the more intimate look. Brian
--
----- -

Is that lights that only work when they feel like it ?

Is that like a red light district ?