Subject Author Posted Replies

Electrical question
I need to replace an ancient bell/call box power supply with a modern wallwart. The original transformer (from the 1930s, with internal fuses in both L and N) was wired into the lighting circuit. It...
86
86

Garage Door not opening and working backwards ?
Hi I have a Henderson Merlin garage door and I have replaced the wire to both sides. I?ve re-tensioned both sides and the spring. The garage door seems to be working backwards so when the door is...
2
2

Gas question
Before this house I've not had anything to do with mains gas so need a bit of guidance. We need to move the cooker out of the kitchen for laying of a new floor. The gas connections seems to be some...
22
22

removing modern GU10 bulbs
I have just fitted a four bulb bar that came with four bulbs. Sadly the light generated would be more than adequate - for a dog kennel. I had a stock of "50w" equivalents. I removed one of original...
20
20

USB good quality sockets on cables
Following on from comments in another thread here. Does anyone know of a source of cables that not only has the usb socked protected, but has some kind of shroud so connections do not go intermittent...
2
2

Getting magnetic USB connectors to stay in ?
I'm a fan of the magnetic USB cables that reduce the mechanical wear on a mobile devices USB port. However, sometimes the magnet is *too* strong, and has a tendency to pull the USB insert out of the...
9
9

OT China stopping plastic waste imports.
S'obvious what the next move's gonna be. They're gonna demand (more) money to take our plastic waste. And have the option of refusing it if it's contaminated.
34
34

Lowering bathroom ceiling
I have lowered my bathroom ceiling by about 80cm as it was a very strange s hape being long, narrow and over 3M high. This photo shows the window reveal where there's the new plasterboard ceiling...
15
15

OT(ish) - toilet pan design
I don't think there is anyone squeamish on here, but if you are look away now. :-) . . . . . This concerns the design of toilet pans. Our RAK toilets have a broad pan, a narrow throat with vertical...
32
32

TRV Price/Quality sweet-spot
As part of a complete heating system overhaul I need to replace the seized up and non thermostatic valves on 13 Radiators. I have some previous experience with Drayton and have no issues with their...
7
7

SWA supply to outbuilding
Be grateful for some advice from the electricians here. I've been asked by a relative to complete an electrical installation to a garden shed/outbuilding. The electrician originally asked to do this...
12
12

Dremel died - repair (if possible) or replace?
Hi I have used my Dremel 3000 on and off for 2 years. I like the size and the flexibility of the tool to clean up bits of rust, polish details or smooth rough edges after cutting wood. Today I was...
17
17

How to dissasemble a Double Pole Switch
Hi All, Is not so much disassemble the switch, as remove it from the back box. I have uploaded a picture to the DIY Wiki, And hope posting it?s file name here allows the more tech savvy of You to take...
4
4

Gutter guards
We're having a problem with bungalow gutters becoming choked with autumn leaves. Didn't used to happen, but since we've had a conservatory installed, it seems to have altered the airflow in that area...
9
9

How to harden leather
I have three leather bicycle saddles. One I bought new about ten years ago, the others I picked up second-hand. The older ones are great - they are hard and supportive. If you rap them with a knuckle,...
18
18