Lowering bathroom ceiling

I have lowered my bathroom ceiling by about 80cm as it was a very strange s hape being long, narrow and over 3M high.

This photo

shows the window reveal where there's the new plasterboard ceiling which bu tts up against the the glass of the window.

Whilst lying in the bath looking up at it it occurred to me that it might l ook better if there were a strip of white plastic glued along the window wh ere the plasterboard meets the glass - it'd make it look less obvious that the ceiling is part way up the window and more like it was meant to be like that as there'd be more of a "frame" effect for the glass.

I'm wondering what people think and what sort of plastic would be suitable

- so far I have considered the lid of a length of mini trunking about 3cm w ide

Reply to
Murmansk

Some cloaking profile, or other PVC trim?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is all a matter of aesthetics, and therefore personal opinion. In my opinion, whatever you frame the divided window with it is going to look horrible, and just wrong.

I would suggest either a new window, and close up the window aperture above the ceiling with a box section matching the wall. Or stop the false ceiling about a metre before the window and have a short stretch of the original ceiling.

Both are a bit more expensive, the latter less so.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Make it wide up to be shoved up the gap a bit, then you can fix it with diagonal panel pins.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Lowering a ceiling far enough to partly take in a bit of window would, to me be just as annoying as the difference in shape in the old one though.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Stick the window blind mechanism across the top?

I don't see any obscure glass.... giving a nightly show to the neighbours?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I would have thought having the raw edge of the plasterboard coming up,to t he window was a bad idea anyway providing a point for moisture to enter the PB.

Why not stop the ceiling before it enters the reveal putting a vertical pie ce of PB in until it reaches above the window height. This is common practi ce when converting/modernising Victorian buildings where ceilings are dropp ed, it provides a space to conceal curtain rails or hide away blinds.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Thanks for the replies

The bit of plasterboard that is up against the glass is actually the neat sealed edge of the board so I hope it won't let moisture in.

The glass is frosted so nobody will be able to see me and stream live shows online!

Reply to
Murmansk

We can be thankful for small mercies...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
Andy Bennet

I'll admit to having doubts that any method of sealing is likely to make it impervious. How did you seal it?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's the rounded edge of the plasterboard that's covered with paper like the face of the board.

Reply to
Murmansk

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 19:50:57 UTC, Murmansk wrote: NT:

then it's as far from sealed as you can get

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Condensation on the window will result in a damp patch there.

This brings up another point - you need to be careful about preventing condensation in the void above a lowered bathroom ceiling. If wrongly designed, moisture may get trapped there. Depends where you put the insulation, vapor barrier, ventilation, and what's above the room (e.g. an attic, or another heated space).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Damp will disintegrate the PB. I'd cut the PB further back so the window's not part blocked off

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've got a powerful fan up there which sucks moisture out of the bathroom below via two vents and sends it out through a hole in the top of the window - behind the new lowered ceiling - so I hope there'll be no condensation.

I have two access hatches in the ceiling so I can get to my fan and shower mixer, so I'll be able to keep an eye on what's going on up there.

Reply to
Murmansk