Strange Ceiling rose/light fitting

Hi All,

I'm involved with a local charity, and we need to move a couple of fluorescent fittings at their premises that appear to have been wired from ceiling roses, and to extend the cables as fitted.

I assumed this installation was a conversion from pendants, but it's before my time.

Having taken the cover off one of the assumed roses I found it wasn't what I expected - there was another plastic moulding underneath. I've taken two photos - no 1 is the rose as it appeared before being disturbed, and no 2 is what I found underneath.

The inner plastic moulding doesn't appear to unscrew, unclip, unplug or otherwise detach from the base, and has no fixings visible. I havn't tried too hard at present, as I don't want to break anything.

Does anyone know what these are, and how to get into them? The ceiling fixtures were apparently done by a firm of shop fitters, in case that's relevant.

Thanks, Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

You're in luck. I fitted those to my ceilings. Easy peasy, and very useful.

Push the rectangular thung along its long axis (try both ways until it moves). It will click, and come away (it's attached by three hook-like contacts).

Rewire it with a longer cable and reattach.

Reply to
Bob Eager

They should slide then pull-out

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's a plug!. It should come out if you slide it, but I can't rememeber which way. It should be obvious when you're there.

Reply to
charles

Thanks to all three of you - that's just the information I needed!

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

But will it click or Klik? (the Hager trade name for their brand of plug in ceiling roses). Although as you say, it's not so much as a plug in as a push along.

Reply to
ARW

It's always the opposite way to the way that you try first:-)

Sometimes needs a bit of a knock.

Reply to
ARW

Now I know what it does I can be a bit more definite. Thanks for the tip though

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

It's a variation on the old ceiling master rose - designed for chandeliers. A sort of plug and socket arrangement - except it slid out sideways. To allow easy safe removal of the chandelier for cleaning.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's quite expensive. Why would they have used it? Some regs? Or they just thought it would come in handy?

Reply to
GB

It allows quick access to a fitting without having to isolate the supply. Quite important when you have a number of fittings controlled by one light switch.

Often used when a false ceiling is involved. The permanent wiring is fixed to to the permanaent bit of the building before the ceiling is installed. You only need single hand access to the plug/socket combination - it can be undone/done up by feel without having to get your head and arms through an access trap/ ceiling tile ...

Reply to
charles

I used them on our landing in the last house. My wife chose lampshades that in combination with the relatively low ceilings and hence short leads from the ceiling roses meant that you couldn't change a light bulb without first removing the shade. It was much easier just to unplug the whole thing from the ceiling and change the bulb on the ground.

Reply to
Huge

and because electricians and ceiling fitters can't coordinate their work accurately enough in 3 dimensions for conduit drops direct to the luminaires to be used :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I put them on most of our ceilings for that reason. yes, they cost more, but in the scheme of things...

Reply to
Bob Eager

You have one of these.

harry

Depends on what you call expensive. It's about £3 per light fitting,

Reply to
ARW

What complete bollocks.

Reply to
ARW

I think it's worth every penny. Especially when SWMBO decodes she wants a different light fitting. We have 9ft ceilings.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's not high:-) I recently swapped a couple of lamps on a 6.5m high ceiling.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, but I'm a wimp! Fiddling around with little brass screws on a normal ladder is a pain.

Reply to
Bob Eager