light fitting rose with hooks

Thank you for the help with my broken cabinet. I fixed it.

I have another little problem. Does anyone know where ( or if) you can still buy ceiling roses ( light fitting which takes bulb) for an old fashioned bowl type chandelier/uplighter on three chains which were popular from late Victorian times until about 1950's?

My aunt had two of these in her house attached to a rose fitting with three hooks around it I would like to have her chandelier/uplighter ( its a large pretty glass marble effect bowl thing suspended from three chains) for my dining room but I dont know where to get a light rose from. I have looked on the internet but no one seems to have anything like it. I am told you could get them back when.

If not, is there any other way I can get a light fitting to attach this shade to without taking my aunts off her ceiling ( must have been there for over 50 years)? I have one of those modern repro rubbish dust catching five bulb things at the moment which I hate and its useless because it constantly seems to overlaod and one or other lights fails.) but nothing available on the new market turns me on anyway.

Thanks.

Reply to
sweetheart

Sorry, further to this I think I may have found a fitting ( nasty brass thing, I had wanted white but beggers etc.....) on Amazon which would hang the bowl according to the review but it doesnt have a cable through the middle ( with the end that goes to a light fitting or the end that fits to the wires in the ceiling if you see what I mean) so what would I ( or rather Oh) have toi do to make this light fitting take a lamp? Can you buy just cable to stick through the central hole and a fitting for the end to take a standard bulb?

Reply to
sweetheart

Chrishtopher Wray used to do this sort of thing. Make sure you're sitting down when they tell you the price though.

Well, you should keep it with the shade it goes with - you reduce the authenticity and value of the shade by separating them.

Another option - are the chains long enough that you could hang the shade from a single hook ceiling rose?

A five-lamp fitting will require lamp replacements 5 times as often as a one-lamp fitting.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andy Burns

If you can manage to squeeze all 3 chains onto one central hook you could try a Maestro Ceiling Master Plug-in rose from TLC /6y5v44b>

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Did your Aunt say you could have all this stuff?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Did your Aunt say you could have all this stuff?

My aunt died last October and left it all to me , so yes. Sorry it must have sounded odd my saying I was taking off with her light shade.

Reply to
sweetheart

I'm wondering why youre taking the bowl but not the rose, then looking for another rose. If that's already been done, and you cant go back for the rose, anyone with a welder could fix some hooks onto a round metal thing for you. The kind used as junction boxes with round metal conduit might be suitable. It could also be made with 2mm iron wire without welding, if this is strong enough - and I'd be surprised if it wasnt.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

"Tabby" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@v5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... On Jun 19, 8:06 am, "sweetheart" wrote:

Reply to
sweetheart

If the documentation doesn't exactly specify that three hook fixing take it and replace with a standard pendant light fitting and bulb.

If it is as old as it you make out it won't fall apart easy it will be brass. Scrap around the joint between ceiling and it, dig out the screws from their paint covering and undo, pry from ceiling taking care not to bring down too much with it. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've not seen that sort of thing. What I have seen is a circular brass casting with three hooks brazed to it. This is then screwed to the ceiling. The center of the casting has hole through which the cable passes. No terminals etc up there, except perhaps a porcelain terminal block stuffed back into the void to join the cable if required.

An alternative to screws through the casting is for the hole in the middle to be threaded and this screws onto a short bit of threaded tube brazed onto a plate which is screwed to the underside of a joist poking through the lath and plaster ceiling. The cable being thread through this tube.

This is a fancy one:

this is what I'm thinking of:

Dave Liquorice

I need to come back to my lighting problem.

I got the three hook thing off the original fitting but I couldn't take the old ceiling rose . The three hook fitting is smaller than modern ceiling roses and so I cannot fit it to the ceiling. I cant get an old fashioned type rose and pendent.

So, do they still make these? If so where?

The alternative was a three hook ceiling rose for a chandelier. I got one of these. Its brass ( the other option was chrome). The thing is this comes without cable and pendent ( BC fitting thinggy) . I bought a cable and pendent but now hubby tells me that the ceiling rose is illegal because its brass.

So what the heck am I to do here? You cant tell me that there isn't a solution surely?

( nothing against anyone here but manufacturers and regulations are beginning to pee me off chronic! They don't sell what you want. They just sell trash. When was the last time a fly catcher lampshade electrocuted anyone or caught fire? . Unlike many a new fitting I could think of).

Reply to
sweetheart

Can't see a problem with it provided it is earthed, you can get brass switches and sockets ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

So what would I need to earth it? I am guessing our old electrical system ( not rewired anytime in my lifetime) is at fault

Reply to
sweetheart

Previously, it was common to use only two core cable for lighting circuits, without an earth. Depends if you can get access from above (i.e. within loft or under floorboards) to run an earth wire to the ceiling rose?

Not sure if it would have to go all the way back to the "fuse box" or if it would be acceptable to run it e.g. from the back of a nearby 13A socket - others may advise.

If the wiring is *so* old that it isn't PVC (don't go poking at it to find out) then it's probably wise to spend some of your inheritance on getting it rewired ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thank you for the information. It isn't a matter of spending money. OH just wont allow such things to be done. Thats life ( like his obsession with saving heat and money ).

The current fitting up there is one of those five light candelabra things with lots of silly plastic "crystals" hanging round it. ( yes it is pretentious I know and I hate it but it was a freebie and better than the round dull paper ball thing there before it ( from my predecessor here) That has a brass fitting but OH says that is earthed. I don't know whether he means the light fitting is earthed or the connection above. Not being much of an electrician ( me that is - he could just be looking for excuses to do b*gger all again)

Reply to
sweetheart

ith my broken cabinet. I fixed it.

Help yourself by providing pics of what youre referring to.

NT

Reply to
NT

Help yourself by providing pics of what youre referring to.

I cant. I dont have the equipment to do that.

Reply to
sweetheart

Help yourself by providing pics of what youre referring to.

Dont know if this will work.

Something like this came from my aunts home. It has three chains which this one hasnt got ( well e bay are rubbish!)

want it hung on a standard light wiring in my didning room

The thing it wuld normally hang on is a plate with three hooks on it which sits under a ceiling rose with a pendant on the end. I havent got a picture of this but it wont work because the new style pendent roses are 80+mm and my three hook thing is only 60+mm wide. So a no go unless I can find one of those old much smaller ceiling roses that was back in the 1970's.

So instead I was pointed to this:

could do the job but OH says this is illegal and he cant fit it. I want to know what he has to do to make this ( plus a bit that comes through the middle with a pendent light fitting on the end) to work

Thats the best I can do.

Reply to
sweetheart

If he says it's illegal full-stop, you need to convince him he's wrong. If he says it's illegal because there is no earth wire to the light fitting (which is possible) then he needs to run an earth wire to it, or find a non-metallic hook thing.

When I looked last time I thought I saw some round wooden roses with hooks on them, which you could mount an ordinary ceiling rose/pendant onto ...

not look the part though ...

Reply to
Andy Burns