What is it? (Amateur version Post #16)

Here is another post in my amateur ?What is it?? tool threa d. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size a nd how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox. L. Flynn

POST16_TOOL61. This rubber and plastic tool is almost 12 inches long. There are two white rubber disks with metal compression springs behind them. The disks have small protruding tabs. The black plastic levers pull up on the middles of the disks when in the flush position. There is a warning to ? ??Check strength prior to each use? on the handle. There are al so two small openings which show a red or green color. The color changes fr om red to green when a rubber disk is pressed onto a flat surface and the l ever is moved to the flush position.

POST16_TOOL62. This wooden and iron tool is a little less than 5 inches lon g. The metal shaft ends in a threaded screw point. The metal shaft continue s from there towards the handle with a sharp-edged spiral in it. The spiral does not complete even one revolution over its 1½ inch length.

POST16_TOOL63. This tool is clearly in the metal pliers? family. It is almost 6½ inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic coat ing. One jaw is curved relative to the other leaving a gap when the two mee t at the end. The other jaw has a flat surface but has a 1 mm depression fo r ½ of an inch nearer to the pivot point. Both jaws have small ridges on the inner surfaces running perpendicular to the long axis.

POST16_TOOL64. This metal tool is a little less than 3 inches long and a li ttle more than 1 inch across. One end has two dull prongs. There is a name of a business on the tool which has been hidden in the picture.

Larry Flynn

I'm green-as-grass at these puzzlers and might need repair. Perhaps I'll pick up my glass and pour myself a gimlet. The little pliers have me wired. John T.

Reply to
hubops

ead. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.

re are two white rubber disks with metal compression springs behind them. T he disks have small protruding tabs. The black plastic levers pull up on th e middles of the disks when in the flush position. There is a warning to ?Check strength prior to each use? on the handle. There are also two small openings which show a red or green color. The color changes from red to green when a rubber disk is pressed onto a flat surface and th e lever is moved to the flush position.

Tool for moving solid surface counter tops

ong. The metal shaft ends in a threaded screw point. The metal shaft contin ues from there towards the handle with a sharp-edged spiral in it. The spir al does not complete even one revolution over its 1½ inch length.

Gimlet (Hand drill for pre-drilling screw holes, etc)

It is almost 6½ inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic co ating. One jaw is curved relative to the other leaving a gap when the two m eet at the end. The other jaw has a flat surface but has a 1 mm depression for ½ of an inch nearer to the pivot point. Both jaws have small ridge s on the inner surfaces running perpendicular to the long axis.

little more than 1 inch across. One end has two dull prongs. There is a nam e of a business on the tool which has been hidden in the picture.

A tool for removing "something". Used by inserting into 2 holes and depressing tabs within object. "What that something is", I don't know.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My dad had these in his bath rub for a secure grab.

Stretching plyers

Green repair, for repairing divot on a green.

Reply to
Leon

tub

Reply to
Leon

breaker-grozier pliers

Reply to
Spalted Walt

replying to Larry Flynn, Iggy wrote: Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 - Gimlet for drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 - Divot Repair Tool for a golfer.

Reply to
Iggy

Ask Ed how he feels about those suction cup grab bars.

What sense does a "light duty grab bar" make? Are they to prevent a "light duty fall"?

(Here we go again.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote: They aren't much good. But, if used right as just a stabilizer, then they're fine. More of a walk up and steady yourself kind of thing. Like, a handrail for most people on stairs or putting your hand on a table to pick something up, nothing heavy more of a guide and another point of balance. Calling them "Grab-Bars" as they do is where the error is in the placebo.

Reply to
Iggy

I always wondered why they make 12", 18", 24", and 30" towel bars and not 16" or 32".

Reply to
krw

+1
Reply to
Spalted Walt

Here we go again.

Anything that appears to be a safety device will be used as a safety device. When the body is falling, the brain will tell the hand to grab the bar - forcefully.

The name is not the problem. The potential danger wouldn't suddenly disappear if they labeled it a Do-Not-Grab-In-An-Emergency-Bar.

A stair rail is not a stabilizer. It's a safety device. How many stairs rails have you seen attached with suction cups?

The next time I build a 2nd story deck, I won't spend much time securing the railing. After all, it's just there to stabilize people as they walk near the edge, right?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I was thinking grozier pliers but mine have no teeth at all, nor the curve on one side.

Reply to
Leon

The lite duty grab bar has a single action lever to create suction, you flip it over and you are done. The industrial generally have a piston that yu pump several times for greater suction.

Reply to
Leon

Instead of a grab bar my first thought was a glass puller or pickup handle.

G Ross

And a *real* grab bar screws into the structure. Anything less is a hazard.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote: I'm not disagreeing, I'm just explaining the only thing it's good for. If the user understands its ability, it'll be useful in that very limited use. Yes, they exist and shouldn't be portrayed as anything but light duty and temporary. But, an official grab-bar can't go everywhere and something like this is very useful for the elderly visiting someone, you can't grab a flat wall to gently coax yourself through a step-up door.

I use a quite solid one for my Mom when visiting my Brother and she uses a few others herself daily to steady herself while picking up the mail, operating the quite heavy sliding door for the cats and getting in and out of the shower. She's used to it, knows it's only a stabilizer and doesn't lean, hang or grope for it. It's a point of contact until she's positioned herself for the task, she knows she's old and must slowdown to be more conscious of her movements and actions.

Reply to
Iggy

We use them to hang the squeege and wet wash rages on. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"Self Adhesive"

What's that about? Totally negates the need.

That's actually not too bad.

Now all I have to do is repair the wall where the previous one has pulled through.

Reply to
krw

You're quite wrong (bet you've never been told that before). If she starts to fall, she *will* grab it for all she's, and it, is worth. It's a normal reaction that would have to be trained out (a pretty dumb thing to do).

Reply to
krw