What is it? (Amateur version Post #21)

Here is another post in my amateur ?What is it?? tool threa d. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size a nd how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox. As usual, informat ion on "Who uses them and for what purpose?" are part of the question. L. Flynn

POST21_TOOL81 This iron tool has four hooks attached to the broadened end o f an iron rod. The hooks can pivot freely. Two of the hooks are next to sma ll arrows.

POST21_ TOOL82 This metal tool is approximately six inches long. The handle s have a rubbery plastic coating.

POST21_TOOL83 This wooden tool is 14? long. The head is 5? across and 3? diameter in diameter.

POST21_TOOL84 This iron tool is approximately 2 feet long when fully extend ed. There is a hole through the shaft just below the handle. The other end has a lever which can bring two jaws together. I have obscured part of the tool?s name.

Larry Flynn

ead. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox. As usual, inform ation on "Who uses them and for what purpose?" are part of the question.

of an iron rod. The hooks can pivot freely. Two of the hooks are next to s mall arrows.

Torture apparatus. At first, it kinna reminded me of an old rope making t ool. Chain tightener tool?.... catch and release successive links? Other wise, no idea.

les have a rubbery plastic coating.

? across and 3? diameter in diameter.

Attitude adjuster/mallet, used on folks making negative comments about my w oodwork/woodworking.

nded. There is a hole through the shaft just below the handle. The other en d has a lever which can bring two jaws together. I have obscured part of th e tool?s name.

Nail puller. "Crescent" is a noted name brand. Very handy tool for us lu mber salvage folks.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

hread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, si ze and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox. As usual, info rmation on "Who uses them and for what purpose?" are part of the question.

nd of an iron rod. The hooks can pivot freely. Two of the hooks are next to small arrows.

tool. Chain tightener tool?.... catch and release successive links? Oth erwise, no idea.

ndles have a rubbery plastic coating.

? across and 3? diameter in diameter.

woodwork/woodworking.

tended. There is a hole through the shaft just below the handle. The other end has a lever which can bring two jaws together. I have obscured part of the tool?s name.

lumber salvage folks.

Yep. For extra credit, what is the hole in the handle used for?

Reply to
Larry Flynn

I don't know. Straighten a bent nail - insert the bent nail into the hole and use the ramrod to straighten it?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

My guess would be to let the air in/out as needed.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Two things, oiling the works, and hanging it up.

Reply to
Markem

The slider's not that tight a fit. I admit to being curious--I spent a summer using one of those to take an outbuilding apart--my Dad was going to reuse the nails and the lumber in a new garage. He never mentioned to me any use for the hole though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

us lumber salvage folks.

I agree. The two parts of the shaft fit together very loosely. That is, the y can slide freely. See

However the inner shaft cannot come all the way out because there is small metal rod protruding on both sides of it that is designed to hit the sides of the outer shaft when it is fully extended. When the tool is at its short est, the holes in the outer shaft line up with this small metal rod in the inner shaft. The rod has been pressed into place. It is clear that the rod was inserted after the two pieces were put together by using the holes. I d o not think the rod can be removed as the ends have been pressed out a litt le relative to the piercing diameter. That is, I don?t think the ho les are to allow the handle extension to be used with other inserts but I m ight be wrong. L. Flynn

Reply to
Larry Flynn