What is it? (Amateur version Post #16)

Then it's a light duty or portable towel bar. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Good God! For your *mom*?

I'll pray for her. You should too.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

+1 Me too. Makes no sense to put them into drywall, when a stud would be better.I've got those dual bar and it puts a strain on the bar while repeatedly putting the towel on and taking it off. It loosens from the wall. When I redo the bathroom there'll be some ply in there between the studs.
Reply to
woodchucker

A 2x4 nailed/screwed between the studs would seem to be the right way to go. Even screwing into the end-grain would work but a pocket hole would be really simple too.

Reply to
krw

Here we go again. The ideal is a nice bar properly screwed into a stud. Not everyone can do that.

The suction cup bars hold rather well. Most times, the person using them to get in or out of the shower only needs something to steady themselves. A bent nail would work in many cases, People don't just use them to hold their body weight, just for the added balance and security.

Before we remodeled the bathrooms we had the fiberglass surrounds and used the suction cup bars. They did the intended job. Do you have kids? Remember when they started to walk? They would walk well just holding your finger, not needing a tight hand grip. Same idea with the suction cup bars. They can prevent a fall.

If you can screw in bars, do it. If not, the suction cup bars provide quite a bit of security.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote: Yeah, delay my overly deserved inheritance...good plan.

Reply to
Iggy

And there we have it. The ultimate proof that you are a dick.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

...until they unexpectedly have to. If it's there, they will use it.

...until the unexpected happens.

And if they tripped, they automatically tightened their grip. The difference is that there was never a chance that my finger was going to come off.

As well as a hazard.

(Feel free to repeat everything you said the last time we went back and forth on this. I'll save myself the typing and simply tell you now that you will *never* convince me that a suction cup grab bar is not an bad accident waiting to happen..)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote: Well, I thought it was funny and she would too.

Reply to
Iggy

That makes good sense!

Reply to
Bill

I understand that. I believe you have no experience with them either, but I do.

You are free to feel that no help is better than some fairly good help to prevent a fall.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you think personal experience with suction cup grab bars matters, then you are missing my point. I'm quite capable of understanding concepts without actual use.

Here we go again.

Moving on...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ead. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.

re are two white rubber disks with metal compression springs behind them. T he disks have small protruding tabs. The black plastic levers pull up on th e middles of the disks when in the flush position. There is a warning to ?Check strength prior to each use? on the handle. There are also two small openings which show a red or green color. The color changes from red to green when a rubber disk is pressed onto a flat surface and th e lever is moved to the flush position.

ong. The metal shaft ends in a threaded screw point. The metal shaft contin ues from there towards the handle with a sharp-edged spiral in it. The spir al does not complete even one revolution over its 1½ inch length.

It is almost 6½ inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic co ating. One jaw is curved relative to the other leaving a gap when the two m eet at the end. The other jaw has a flat surface but has a 1 mm depression for ½ of an inch nearer to the pivot point. Both jaws have small ridge s on the inner surfaces running perpendicular to the long axis.

little more than 1 inch across. One end has two dull prongs. There is a nam e of a business on the tool which has been hidden in the picture.

Reply to
Larry Flynn

61 is one of many suction cup grip devices. First one I ever saw was a *much* bigger version for pulling up tiles in a raised floor in a computer center. They are used for moving any number of things with smooth surfaces - window glass, mirrors, tile, countertops, etc