bathroom ceiling

Just pulled down the old pine tongue and groove ceiling in the bathroom- I never was a fan of the Swedish sauna look. Anyway, I am now debating what to put up as a replacement. For the moment, I have left the battens to which the t&g was attached and above them, the old (buggered) lath and plaster ceiling is still in place (although I have removed the loose bits). The battens are attached to the joists above by a mixture of bloody big screws and nails, so they are fairly rigid and probably up to the job of carrying the weight of a new ceiling. However, I worry that if I were to fix plasterboard to the battens and get it skimmed, there may be a greater tendency for cracking along the joints compared to attaching the plasterboard directly to the joists. Another reason for not wanting to use plasterboard is that I can't skim, so the whole job (complete bathroom refit) will stall while I wait to get a plasterer in. So, alternatives: I was thinking about boarding over using thin MDF sheet and then fixing rubber or vinyl tiles. I particularly like the idea of white studded tiles, although I appreciate that there is a danger of the room simply looking as though it is upside down! Aside from issues of taste and decency, is this a reasonable idea? Is MDF okay for such an application, or is there a better alternative? Also, are there adhesives available that would be up to the job of keeping the tiles in place in a hot, damp environment? One other consideration for me is whether to fit an extractor fan. In the numerous hotel room toilets and also bathrooms at friends' houses in which I have had experience of these things, I have never been impressed by their ability to clear water vapour or foul odours. Are they actually worth the bother?

Thanks in advance for any advice, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

I've got some areas skinned in MDF instaed of plasterboard. It has cracked along the joints just as much.

If you are tiling use plasterboard anyway - its cheaper. If going for paint may I recommend that you use plasterbaord, foil backed for vapour reasons, and either get a plsaterer in. or learn to plaster. Use of scrim tape stops MOST cracks, and any that are left can be smeared with decorators caulk, or other filler, and repainted later.

Even if your plastering is as bad as mine, use of orbital sander, vacuum cleaner and dust mask allows a perfect finish to be achieved eventually. As do battens screwed down a float width apart, used to get skim depth exact, and then removed and filled and sanded etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Jim Walsh wrote in news:408F759E.2F12A607 @sheffield.ac.uk:

How about upvc cladding? I put some on our bathroom ceiling least year and it's perfect for the job. Easy to put up, easy to clean, no maintenence issues. I bought it from

Follow the link for bathroom wall cladding. I used the white, which comes in 250mmx5m lengths.

Reply to
Danny Monaghan

Cheers for that. Hadn't occurred to me (and wouldn't have known where to look to find the stuff anyway). How is it fitted- I'm guessing tongue and groove or lap with concealed nails. Is there matching coving available for the edges?

Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

Also have a look at

(not a good web site, but follow the links products>decorative_cladding>top_decor. Or download the brochure via their price_lists link). We recently stuck this over a nasty bathroom ceiling. The silver inserts make a very classy finish (well, they look good to me). It's suggested that you batten your ceiling first (which is the time consuming bit), and make sure your battens are protected against moisture. The uPVC cladding is nailed (rustproof nails, staples, pins) on a lip on one side. The insert then covers these nails as it slots into a groove, then the next board is slotted over this insert. A bad description of how to do it, but I think there is further info in the brochure. The only problem I see is that it's not, by itself, 100% vapour proof. Time will tell if we end up with pools of condensed water between the cladding and the ceiling (no sign of this yet though).

Reply to
Graeme