Huge bubble in bathroom ceiling

Hi,

I noticed after taking a hot shower today that I have a huge bubble in my ceiling. I asked my upstairs tenant if something was leaking in their bathroom, and she said not that she was aware of. So I assuming the bubble is from me taking a shower with the door closed, and I do not have a fan in the bathroom. I have touched the bubble and there seems to be quite a lot of water in there. Is there anything I can do it make it dry up? Or is it just going to burst now. I have noticed that is it starting to drip a little.

Thanks!!

Reply to
rsoonb

I doubt the bubble is caused by condensation. At least not directly onto the ceiling -- you'd need a significant amount of water condensing above the ceiling and dripping down to form a large bubble such as you describe.

There's almost certainly a leak upstairs and you'd be well advised to get it fixed before the water causes even more damage.

I would burst the bubble immediately with a sharp instrument (knife or whatever). The water that's accumulating in there will only cause more damage. Get rid of it ASAP and ventilate the room to keep the humidity as low as possible -- you really don't want mold taking hold.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Agreed on all counts. No way condensation is causing a downward bulge in the ceiling.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

If it did not break already, get a large container and pop it. They find the leak from upstairs. They may not be aware, but there is a leak.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Notify the landlord *immediately* and in writing!

If you take action to " burst" it, at least wear protective clothing. Chances are excellent that the water is from a toilet...

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Get a bunch of buckets, or a biggg bucket, and get rid of anything that will be damaged by the spilling splattering water, and put a hole in the lowest part of the bubble. Have someone hold the next bucket in the stream above the bucket on the floor that just got filled. It will take all of 2 to 5 seconds so be ready to go. Even though it might, don't assume the water will come out where you put the hole. Be ready to move the bucket.

If you don't when it does burst, which could be any minute, there will be more damage to the ceiling and more to what's underneath.

It might be caused by your shower if your house is upside down and you're all walking on your heads. Otherwise it's a leak upstairs.

You have a homerepairlive address and you're asking this question? I think you are a troll who wasted some of my time. Grow up and stop being a jackass.

Reply to
mm

Is this a troll?

Reply to
jimmy

He IS the landlord...:)

Reply to
jimmy

I suspect we're looking at a cupful or at the most two, of water.

If there really is several gallons of water, it won't be there for very long. Wear a hard hat because that ceiling is about to come down.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

I'd have agreed with you last week, but a fellow I work with had a similar situation. He had a roof leak. When he broke the bubble, he got about three gallons of water, plus what spilled. Damage is about $2500 in his case. I never would have though paint would hold that much water.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yikes, that is pretty amazing. On the other hand, I've had co-workers that were prone to very occasionally make tiny exaggerations ;-)

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Add ceiling repair cost to your list; after the leak is fixed. You may need to disclose this damage in a future sale, but I don't know that.

-- Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Oren

Does she have a small child? They are really good at spilling lots of water.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
buffalobill

Don't stand under it - it may be used water.

Reply to
HeyBub

In my case it wasn't three gallons, but I'm sure it was a lot more than 2 cups.

Forgot to mention that he needs another empty bucket to leave there to catch the continuing drip.

I tried going up in the attic and putting an 8 foot x 16 inch board under the hole, propped up near the middle of the house and tapering down to just over the soffit vent. If I had had more energy, I could have done a better job, but even that seemed to route some of the drip through the roof to outside the perimeter of my house, not counting the soffits.

Reply to
mm

My money's on the leaky drainhole on the shower pan upstairs ... place your bets!

PK

Reply to
PK

I don't appreciate being called a troll or a jackass. This is the first time I have owned a home, and I was looking for an answer to a problem. I thought this posting board would help me to get advice from other people who have gone through it. I came here to get solutions, not to be criticized. I appreciate all the other suggestions outside of this, which could have been kept to yourself.

I just found it odd that the bubble wasn't there until after I took a shower. I normally take a shower very early in the morning before going to work but I did not go to work today so I took a shower later in the day. It happened right after taking a shower. I have been in and out all day, and have finally made it home now. The dripping that was occurring (actually, it was just drops, the bucket I put underneath it when I left this afternoon has not one single drop of water in it) has stopped. I will call my home warranty company and see if they can tell if it is a leak from my upstairs tenant.

Again, thank you all for the helpful responses and taking the time to respond to me. To "mm" - no one forced you to respond, therefore if you wasted your time that was obviously on you. Maybe you're just a smartass or a know-it-all who has to put your two cents into everything. I didn't need your two cents, as you can see, as there are MANY, MANY other helpful people out there.

Reply to
rsoonb

[...]

I ASKED if this was a troll. Believe or not it looked like a troll to me...:) I apologize for being wrong.

Reply to
jimmy