8 hundred and 92 knobheads

I get it but where is all that Hydro or Wind even going to come from for large scale use or are you only going to do the one car with it?..

Course some pollution will be involved as dams needed for Hydro don't just make themselves, a rather large amount of concrete is required;!

I think sometimes you only see what might be not what is or could be.

I'm not opposed to the concept of an electric car as such in some ways its a very good advance on what's gone before. Electrical transmission to the wheels alleviating the need for clutches and gearboxes etc is good. The Control system can be very reliable 'tho I suspect the makers will see replacements ones as a real cash cow i.e. as they do now for onboard solid state.

The problem even if you do get the perfect battery or capacitor store is still going to be the prime energy source.

You may not have noticed that a few weeks ago there was a very large load on the UK grid the fossil plants were almost flat out the nuclear at full capacity. Hydro makes up only a very small part of that source as does pumped Hydro.

In order for that to become a practical everyday proposition for the same people who can afford a conventional petrol or diesel car then there is going to have to be some very very large changes in the UK power system as indeed the rest of the world.

I wonder what they intend to do in Germany where that Merkel idiot switched of a lot of Nuclear capacity on a silly political whim...

Where is all this "clean" non polluting power going to come from. I don't just mean for the insignificant number of EV's on the road now.

Hydro as a Practical source?. I don't somehow think so...

Reply to
tony sayer

Good. They were saying EVs cannot be pollution free. Which is lies.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well if it exists it has already created pollution.. if it moves it generates noise pollution, it wears tyres out which creates pollution, etc. I guess they weren't lies after all.

Reply to
dennis

Who are you quoting? The only source on Google for that quote, or anything I can see like it, is this thread.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

It's true about the engines, though. I think they were supposed to have been scrapped but for some reason were saved. The Yanks use them now, possibly under licence.

Reply to
Tim Streater

what about materials extraction / processing and subsequent manufacturing and delivery?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

You do realise that they can basically run from one stop to the next and need recharging at *every* bus stop. They are in effect trolley buses with the capability to run off grid for a few mins.

The storage capacity of the capacitor is at *best* 5% of what you can get in a lithium rechargable cell, and as we know, even those are hopelessly inadequate.

So its ok for buses - so long as they stop frequently for a couple of minutes (regardless of whether someone actually wants to get on or off the thing, but of not practical relevance as a storage medium for electric cars.

Reply to
John Rumm

No manufactured product can be pollution free.

No dribble, its just reality - you are probably not used to that so don't worry yourself about it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Never need manufacturing?

Reply to
John Rumm

Not to mention servicing, maintenance, scrapping, recycling etc...

Reply to
John Rumm

What is the relevance of this statement? E

Even if it were not a load of cobblers, its not like we have any significant hydro capacity in this country, or geography suitable for adding significantly to the meagre level we currently have.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do I? I've just got out of my Mercedes this evening.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They can go futher than that, but nevertheless they move many tons along the road.

They are not. Trolley buses use a wire on top. Boy you are dumb

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Chav..in use.

< snip drivel >
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

re-read.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You made that up, or stuck a Merc badge on it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is easy to get.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No. Just because you are poor don't assume everyone else is.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And he said "in effect" - which is correct. Meanwhile you are still a chatbot.

Reply to
Tim Streater

With Supercap buses all you do is slap up the bus stops and they can go anywhere. Try changing a route that quick and cheaply stringing up wires. BTW, Liverpool city Council had to spend a fortune on Compulsory purchase orders to get wires on the sides of buildings fro their trams network which was cancelled to pay for the Olympics.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel