8 hundred and 92 knobheads

I always wonder at the mentality of those who believe pollution free vehicles exist...

Reply to
John Rumm

They are pollution free at point of use, so clean up cities and protect millions of lungs and keep buildings clean. Duh! Even Chavs in Essex can understand that. EV vehicles that are charged from hydro are 100% pollution free.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The AA come with a large battery in the back of the van to give you a zap. Cars that need to travel in the middle of nowhere would have range extenders.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh yes I like a nice bit of trellis round a supermarket... it gives something for the clematis to climb up, and looks much nicer

Reply to
John Rumm

no, no, no, you switch them on dribble. Kick starting is for motorbikes.

Reply to
John Rumm

Fantastic Maxie, fantastic. Only you can come with the Batbattery. What a man! So inventive.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Use lith and supecaps and wizzzzo!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Which you clearly don't possess.

There is a good reason why you can buy loe ESR capacitors.

Go and learn about power supply design and ripple current and the effect it has on smoothing capacitors.

Thenn come back when you've got a clue.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

How much hydro power in the UK?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would need to be some battery to charge an EV one sufficiently.

Known as an IC engine. [Thinks] You could cut out all that wasteful and expensive electric nonsense and use it to drive the vehicle direct. Wonder why it's not been thought of before?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No they can't, the pollution from the power station addles their brains. Even the chavs that live in Essex and work in London suffer from this.

Only to the extent that hydro replaces fossil fuel. Not only that, but the anaerobically decaying vegetation in most reservoirs is a major generator of methane, which has about the same greenhouse effect as the coal you'd burn to replace the power gerenated by the hydro.

Even small scale hydro can cause problems with changin water flow in rivers.

Reply to
John Williamson

PDP-8?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Good, no more extra fossil carbon release into the atmosphere.

Not overly relevant as the carbon released was absorbed from the atmosphere when the plants were alive in the previous few years. Overall no more extra carbon is released into the atmosphere.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Debatable, as per the examples below. Then again, nuclear generates almost as much CO2 as coal if you take into account the production and storage of spent fuel for thousands of years. There was some debate as to the best way to protect the depositories a few years ago, which included options like just burying the fuel and setting up a religious order to keep people off the taboo sites after civilisation as we know is has disappeared.

Turning absorbed CO2 into emitted CH4, which has a much larger (twenty times larger?) greenhouse effect per tonne of carbon, IIRC. An old link, but I'm not aware of any research showing otherwise:-

average per kilowatt-hour in the tropics seems to be between three and five times the amount of global warming as burning coal, and *much* more than burning the trees directly to generate power.

Reply to
John Williamson

about a gigawatt in total.

but not all the time. If it stops raining...

hrttp://

The Natural Philosopher

Or even

;-)

Reply to
Tim Downie

Apart from the pollution created while making them, and the hydro plant, and the roads, and...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Hmmm...

Chevvy Volt, as an example, uses a 16kWh/45Ah battery (so about 350v).

80% of 45Ah is 36Ah. A few minutes we'll take as 3, being how long to sling a bit of petrol about the place.

So...

36Ah * 60 / 3 = 720A continuous current @ 350v.

Or 252KW.

Or a little over quarter of a MW. That I must see. From a distance.

And, after that, I can do a grand total of something between 20 and 40 miles (GM mileage * 0.8)

Reply to
Scott M

There's one at the local dealership, plugged into what looks to be a quite meaty connector - IIRC my brother in law said it takes about 4 hours for a full charge.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

We could build massive dams high up in the sky for hydro power and then pump sea water up to them using coal/oil/gas power stations. These hydro plants will then only be used for charging cars and that will make the cars even greener.

Reply to
ARWadsworth