Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Going the long way round ....
I received a letter yesterday - not just any letter - this one had a genuine First Class stamp stuck on the envelope! It was posted in Newark in Nottinghamshire, then sent to Sheffield, where it was...
3
3

Why do the energy companies do this!
My account with Scottish power showed that my DD with them needed to rise to clear the balance when it came to the annual review. Fair enough to a problem to raise to clear the debt. However they put...
10
10

Old computer backup media destruction
After a major clearout I've got a box of old computer backup tapes and floppy disks. Any suggestions as to how they may be rendered unreadable? I don't have an angle grinder. Burning them would...
41
41

[OT] "Genoa Bridge Collapse: The Road to Tragedy"
For anyone interested, here's a clear explanation with graphics (especially good on Android) on how that road bridge in Genoa collapsed last month. The New York Times has reconstructed how the...
9
9

Driving eyesight rules.
Am I right in thinking that in the past I had to be able to read a car number plate at 25 yards whereas now it is only 20m? I am not sure if the size of the number plate characters have changed.
13
13

british gas wireless thermostate non programmable model -wl2
with batteries changed and button pushed it keeps flashing what is wrong****

Water governor failure
Yesterday arrived home from holiday to hear a strange thrumming noise under the breakfast room floor, with signs of damp. Lifted the floorboard and found the mains water supply pipe, in which was...
16
16

Worth sweeping an unused chimney?
My friend has a chimney which is capped off with a flue vent. This became dislodged by winds and a chimney sweep firm is going to re-seat the vent. They recommended also having the chimney swept. Is...
3
3

OT: Boycott speaks out about remoaners.
Not really harry. The real brainwashing is social media. Where it is perhaps the norm to make up your own facts. Rather as on here. TV in the UK is a minor offender in comparison.
39
39

What should my control unit on off times be for best energy usage
I ave just moved into a house that has underfloor heating , apparently it is on a storage system that makes use of off peak electricity but I see my control unit is set to be on during peak times , is...
8
8

Heads ups for DIYBanter posters, goodbye ...
If you are reading and posting from DIY banter, tough. Your badly chosen newsystem is now in my killfile, joining flashnewsgroups and other anonymous web remailers. I suspect many other locals here...
7
7

OT APOLOGY
Just realised where my posts ended up. It was never my intention to spam UK.DIY with these politics posts. Shan't do it again. Sorry.
6
6

OT - more on energy prices.
Posted in the MoneySavingExpert forum but thought I would ask for view here as well. We are looking at switching suppliers and Bristol Energy and Robin Hood (via Ebeco) are in the mix. Looking for a...
5
5

Glueing wood to concrete
Looking for advice on the best method of fastening plywood to concrete. I'm reluctant to drill into the concrete, so recommendations for suitable adhesives please. This is for the inside of a concrete...
17
17

Oven door glass orientation
Our double gas oven, has a glass doors, the inner glass panels of which is slide out/ removable for cleaning. Despite it being possible to fit them back to front or upside down, the manufacturer has...
6
6