Box blind infestation

Not you Brian!

The cottage has suddenly sprouted Sanderson box window blinds. Not in any room I am likely to occupy but still an abomination. If they are intended to shut out the light, the white ones don't!

The installers insist on wide sills so the blinds can be folded back inside the room. OK so maybe you shouldn't expect to park ornaments or small items on window sills but the expectation that they will fold back neatly to the walls like those on the continent is sadly disappointed. Instead, they droop like Cormorants drying their wings. How long before the grandchildren test their resilience remains to by seen. My comment about 4" nails wasn't well received when the fitter explained that Sandersons don't supply means of safely latching open.

My initial thought, apart from suggesting they take them away, is an inverted cabin hook. Further thought reminded me of threads on modern magnets.

The wider windows have triple blinds, 2 folding and opening one way and

1 the other. A white painted disc magnet and keeper would latch the double together and a further magnet/keeper pair could hold them tight to the wall. Huge strength not needed. (these things are flimsy!)

Any recommendations?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Google is not my friend. What is a ?Sanderson box window blind??

How about posting a picture?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

These things!

My annoyance may have confused the terminology. Needless to say, I did not pay for these things.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Indeed. One of the few good design decisions made by an Engineering Manager I worked for was to insist that the blinds installed on a new office building were mid blue - dark enough to deal with the light but not look too gloomy.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You will, indirectly.

Wooden shutters are bad enough, but at least they're wooden, and might be useful in some circumstances.

I'd be very tempted to test the 'flame retardency'

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Og folding lovred venetians style blinds..

I am confused. Is it not your cottage?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dust traps too.

Reply to
harry

No actual photo to hand.

Ordered and funded by my wife. 50 years of marriage next month and never a joint financial account. Not good for tax advantages but saves a lot of aggravation.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What a heap of rubbish, who would want such things if they are ineffective and poorly designed, does the building owner have money in the maker? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Tim Lamb writes

We have similar in some windows, although they are wooden and were installed with the windows, c1880. I like them as they do shut out the light (and draughts) as there are no 'see through' slats. They are either open or closed.

Interesting window sill comment. Here, the windows which have (or had) shutters have narrow sills so, when the shutters are closed, the bottom of each shutter is flush with the sill, so no room for dust gathering ornaments.

Reply to
Graeme