Subject Author Posted Replies

cycles to hertz - when?
No - I don't know exactly when things changed, but I think the change was gradual between 1960 and 1970.
109
109

AFDD
Arc fault detection device seems quite reluctant to detect arcing <> An Eaton AFDD connected to power and tripped using various methods. Part 2 in this series: https://youtu.be/MLit1zkF2Bs Part 3:...
6
6

Removing a tap top
I rarely get beaten by DIY jobs, but it's looking like this one may get the better of me. I'm trying to get the crosshead top off a tap, the sort with a screw in the side of the head. The screw came...
18
18

Kitchen lighting
Would one tend to wire them into the lighting? Or stick them on a plug?
31
31

Underlay for engineered wood flooring
Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of underlay for floating engineered wood flooring on a concrete base? From some cursory reading it seems that there are varying thicknesses, tog ratings,...
3
3

How much for two 4inch fixed white extractor fan grilles?
Needed two today for work. They were an unplanned part of the job so I nipped down to a large UK builders merchants for them. There is not much choice around where I was working apart from this...
14
14

OT - Strange object ID
Anybody any clue what these are shown in this picture The chains attached to the top framework are also connected to a ring round the central pole. This ring will slide up the central pole but there...
11
11

Ping TNP - Nuclear output?
Looking at Gridwatch the output from the nuclear plant seems to have been creeping up by trifles over the last week or so. I can see from <> that Dungeness B and Hunterston B are both off line (4...
1
1

Fungus in wooden structure
My porch was foolishly built with no damp course or brick support wall. As such the timber used rests directly on the ground. On the exposed side fungus is now coming through on the inside. I will...
12
12

Key Snapped In Euro Cylinder - Tip for removing
Found this tip on the internet and it worked like a dream for me this morning. Key had broken of flush with the lock face and couldn't grab it with thin nosed pliers or tweezers. So...... Get a...

Wheely bin stabiliser
Our road is a bit of a wind-tunnel and sometimes our bins go walkabout. I?m toying with the idea fitting a steel plate to the pavement outside our house and fitting strong magnets to the bases of the...
36
36

disconnecting Ethernet with a switch
Hi, I want a switch to let me switch my network connection on and off. I want to achieve the same effect as unplugging the cable, without the hassle of unplugging the cable. My PC gets a signal...
38
38

Steve Jobs Never Wanted Us to Use Our iPhones Like This
Steve Jobs Never Wanted Us to Use Our iPhones Like This The devices have become our constant companions. This was not the plan. By Cal Newport, Jan. 25, 2019, New York Times Smartphones are our...
1
1

What considerations when thinkni of changing height of replacement radiator?
Hi all I'm looking at changing a radiator in a bedroom shortly and wondering about my options re. sizing. The current radiator is 900mm W x 600mm H, and is single panel, no convector. So looking at...
5
5

Star invention of the week?
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 22:00:17 +0000 GB wrote: Get a bit of steel strip or plate about 1/4" thick, drill and tap a couple of holes for small bolts to engage with the collar, and a larger one to fit in...
16
16