What considerations when thinkni of changing height of replacement radiator?

Hi all I'm looking at changing a radiator in a bedroom shortly and wondering about my options re. sizing.

The current radiator is 900mm W x 600mm H, and is single panel, no convector. So looking at some representative specs, let's say 550W output.

I would be replacing this with a single panel, single convector radiator. From looking at the spec again, the same sized radiator gives around 50% greater output - 900W.

I am wondering about fitting a 900mm W x 450mm H single panel, single convector, which would then reduce the output again to 700W or so, similar to the original.

My reason for doing this would simply be 'neater appearance' of the smaller radiator, but it wouldn't be a problem if the replacement was the same size as the original. I am wondering if there is anything else (apart from power output) that I should be considering here?

The radiator will be under a window and the CH is an olde school 'plan C', I think. I would probably fit a TRV in any case. There is no need to heat the room any better than currently...

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Uprating rad output lets the primary run at lower temp, helping ensure condensing operation with better efficiency. If the current boiler is not condensing, the next one will be.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Would that change on one single radiator really make a difference though? My issue would be to wondering what the state of the wall behind is and if some actions might need to be taken to make it look like the rest of the wall and to move radiator fixings etc.

Still there you go. I'd wait for warmer weather though! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I would go for the larger one and a TRV, but make sure it's not the system's bypass loop (in which case it mustn't be turned off).

Radiators get condensation on them in a bathroom in the summer, and this can cause rust to form along the bottom edge/seam after a while. I would suggest painting the bottom edge with gloss paint before you install. I don't like to see paint on a radiator (it's never as good as the original finish), so keep it off the visible face.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi Andrew Thanks - I always like to see a posting from you in a thread on uk.d-i-y...

I appreciate the advice - though note it's to go in a *bed*room, not bathroom. The Bathroom radiator does not have a TRV. Nice touch about the lick of paint where appropriate though. You are right about repaints never looking as good - DAMHIKT...

Regards Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Agreed. Though, with a C-Plan system, I'd be very surprised if it were currently a condensing boiler.

Better to have an oversized rather than undersized radiator. You can always reduce the heat output with a TRV and/or by using the lockshield valve to throttle the flow. Much more difficult to increase the heat output of a rad that's too small. [OK, you can use a fan for forced convection - but far from ideal].

Reply to
Roger Mills