panel options for single radiator replacement?

Hi All we are redecorating the 'master bedroom'(!), which will include replacing the old CH radiator which sits under the window. This is currently a single panel radiator (ie. with no fins) approx 1600mm W x 600mm H.

Replacement is really for reasons of appearance (newer radiators look a bit better than old ones), and ability to fit a TRV (neither I nor a plumber could remove the old valve last time the system was drained down).

I am considering replacing with a double panel radiator (or single panel + fins) of the same width, but possibly of lower height. No particular reason except to take advantage of more efficient and (hence smaller) modern radiators. But I appreciate there might be reasons for sticking with the old single radiator style:

- better appearance, ie. takes up all the space under the window - less replumbing because the outlets will be a similar distance from the wall - etc.

Does the panel have an opinion on the pros & cons of changing depth/efficiency?

Oh, FWIW the current CH is an back boiler Plan C, will need to be improved at some point.

Thanks a lot jon N

Reply to
jkn

In general bigger radiators improve boiler efficiency. Especially condensing boilers.

Wider radiators give a bigger heat output than a nerrower one of the same surface area. Diagonal connections improve heat output on any given radiator. (ie top at inlet end and bottom at outlet end due to improved circulation pattern) Thermostatic rad.valves work better with a remote sensor. If on outside wall, fit a reflector behind the radiator. Also consider a shelf above the radiator (deflects warm air away fromthe wall.) Consider curtains (within the reveal)/insulated shutter/blind on window.

Reply to
harryagain