Star invention of the week?

A pin "spanner" to fit on the impact driver to undo the nut on the angle grinder.

Does that make sense, and where can I get one?

Reply to
GB

Tap the end of your existing pin spanner with a lump hammer to initially shock it to loosen the lock.

Reply to
alan_m

Every one I have seems to be different. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get a bit of steel strip or plate about 1/4" thick, drill and tap a couple of holes for small bolts to engage with the collar, and a larger one to fit in the chuck.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Rob Morley presented the following explanation :

Somebody is over tightening these. A little more than finger tight is enough, if they are not tight enough they will self tighten in use when they slip. The spanner is then just used to undo the nut to change the disk. I have several spanners, all tied together.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I don't overtighten, but it tightens itself up in use.

I'll try making a tool for the impact driver and see how it goes. Clearly, I'm solving a problem that others don't have.

Reply to
GB

+1, I never have trouble removing mine. Most of mine have a push-button locking pin, the one that doesn't has flats on the spindle below the disk to take a thin bike-type spanner.
Reply to
newshound

You'll need to find strong screws. The sort you'll find easily will snap off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I often find I can loosen the nut on my 115mm grinder just by turning the disc with gloves on, but I suppose it depends what you've been doing with it how much it will self-tighten in use. I do find the little spindle lock button can be a real pain in the arse sometimes - it's useful to have a spanner that fits the flats.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Have you got a spanner to fit the flats on the spindle (assuming it has accessible flats)? You can often get a much better purchase using that rather than the lock button (if that's what you have).

Reply to
Rob Morley

As you have an angle grinder maybe some creative grinding on a suitably sized spade bit followed by a tidy up with a file could turn the bit into one.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Probably too brittle, unless a very well made one with only the edges hardened.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Possibly, If it wasn?t too darn messy to go down to the shed where I keep Junk I might compare the diameters of various semi worn Starrett hole saws with the pins on my pin spanner. One of those might be more amenable to being ground into the right shape and surviving afterwards. The op probably hasn?t got a similar collection of old hole saws and arbors though.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I considered that and decided it would probably be too thin/brittle to withstand the impact.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Sounds like it's being done up too tight...

Reply to
Jim K..

Extension "bar" on pin spanner?

Reply to