OT - Strange object ID

Anybody any clue what these are shown in this picture

The chains attached to the top framework are also connected to a ring round the central pole. This ring will slide up the central pole but there is no rotation of any part of the device.

They are about 6 ft high, on what some may call "waste ground" and others may call a "wildlife haven".

The only clue is what looks like a tongue in cheek sign saying beware of flying discs.

There are several of them, placed about 80 to 100 yards apart.

Chris B

It's a 'target' for disc golf. Played using a Frisbee. Googling 'Disc Golf' will return lots of pictures e.g.:

Andrew May

and "beware" is sound advice. Players are supposed to yield to non-players and wait for them to pass before throwing but...

Reply to
Robin

where's the fun in that ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

(...)

see below...

it's a disc golf course.

The chain thing is the "hole" or target.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Thanks (and to others that have replied).

These are fairly new in this location and I haven't seen anyone using them yet. Maybe nobody else round here knows what they are for either. :-).

Reply to
Chris B

Its clearly a landing ground for alien spacecraft, stupid.

Bit like aircraft carrier arresting wire systems, but for alien spacecraft.

Reply to
2987fr

At first I thought goals for ultimate Frisbee (Ultimate[1]). but then I realised you said there were several (also in the pic they looked a bit short).

I didn't even think of Frisbee golf until several others had said so in the replies

[1] Most of the 'official' sports have dropped the 'Frisbee' part of the name as it is a trade name of a manufacturer of throwable disc (bit like Hoover for Vacuum cleaner).
Reply to
soup

Sorry don't get how that works from the description. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Start with golf. The disc takes the place of the ball. The basket and chains the OP described takes the place of the hole. The player has to get the disc in the basket or stuck in the chains in as few throws as possible.

And, as with golf, there are bl> Sorry don't get how that works from the description.

Reply to
Robin

It's a pole. About a third of the way up the pole is a round wire basket, flat bottom. The top of the pole has a number of radial bars, from the ends of which chains dangle loosely, with their free ends attached to a ring that is free to move on the pole.

Frisbees either have to land > Sorry don't get how that works from the description.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If it lands right next to the basket, are you allowed just to place it in?

Reply to
Max Demian