What are these????

I found these at a car boot, very, very rusty. Couldn't resist them - yet another impulse 20p purchase. But what are they? The only thing I can think of makes my eyes water :-) Anyone know?

RzB

In article , RzB writes

Look like they could have been useful for cutting and holding wire, for fencing maybe??

Reply to
Bill

Hmmm... I'm tempted to put them on Ebay with the words "old" and "rare" in the title.... Bound to make a profit! Roy

Reply to
RzB

Farrier's tool of some kind?

I don't think it's an emasculator.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think they are 'hog-ring' pliers. Used in upholstery trade. (other uses too) MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I think they might be used to remove boy scouts from horses hooves or something like that.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

I dont think they'll cut anything off, as the mechanism doesnt look like it would close any further than the picture shows them.

However..... scary.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Can you do a picture with it open?

Reply to
Nigel Mercier ®

Hello N.

Bloodless castrators?

Least, they look like the descriptions I've read, but I've not seen any. The idea is that they're affixed through the scrotal wall and when squeezed will break the relevant pipework without cutting the skin. IIRC, they weren't that reliable.

Gentlemen may now wish to uncross their legs.

Reply to
Simon Avery

castrate his rams. The pliers don't sever the testicle, but stop short and put pressure on the supply, nerve or whatever and in time they (the testicles) wither and no longer perform. maybe? ..................

And of course it's common knowledge that a castrated ram is called a wether?

Anyway, that's a useful foundation for the story about the farmer who had a troublesome ram and, being very short of cash, decided to sell it at market one sunny day. As the auctioneer tried to get a bid the ram howled, charged the fencing and generally caused a lot of fuss. No bids were forthcoming and shortly after the disgusted farmer was putting his ram back into his landrover. His neighbour walked by and said "Nice Weather, Bert". "It will be when I get back to the farm" replied the farmer.

Reply to
BAH

If I had to make an educated guess I say they were Horse shoe nail pullers...

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny Brown

In article , RzB writes

Where is Jack Hargreaves when you need him? He would have known!

I always think of him when I hear "Memories of the Alhambra".

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Ye-olde BNC tool :-)

Reply to
fred

Ok - Someone on my woodworking course suggested that they were for putting rings in animals (pigs/cattle) noses. On close inspection it appears that there is a groove where a ring might go. Seems almost plausable... At least better than removing horses from boy scouts hoofs - or whatever... Roy

Reply to
RzB

Yes - very interesting. Why did you suggest Hog Ring Pliers? Just someting you imagined or what? Roy

Reply to
RzB

No, I had seen something similar looking in a snapon catalogue a long time ago and remembered the name, I then did a quick search for hog ring pliers and found some pictures which were similar, they seem to be mainly used in the upholstery trade, so I mentioned that too.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful