Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: RIPA Them and Us; conceiving of a D-I-Y system?
An interesting concept, but surely then they would have access to the system we used to create them which would be as good as having them. In the end I think I'd not go paranoid over that particular...
2
2

Supercapacitors
I've never used a supercap before, though I have had one kicking about here for a long time, a 5v 1 Farad. I have an old code entry lock, which I am looking to install, which runs on 5v and needs a...
55
55

RCBO marking.
Just fitted a couple of RCBOs to an older split load CU on the non RCD protected side. And was curious about how the terminals are labelled. The output terminals (load) are marked Load N and Load 2....
5
5

Venting subfloor up the chimney?
I'm thinking 2 birds one stone here..... I've been told I need better underfloor ventilation (there's no ventilation at the back of the house, just the front). We are doing some refurbishments so it's...
8
8

Question about telephone wiring
I've recently installed a trueCall Call Blocker, and have had some problems with it not ringing when it should. Turned out a wired phone wasn't ringing when I plugged that in to test things. Virgin...
15
15

Catalytic Converters - smell
Was talking about catalytic converters the other day following another theft and someone commented about the rotten egg smell you sometime got from cars and someone would say - it is because the car...
6
6

Powerline adaptors.
I do hope you are nowhere near a radio ham or short wave listener, its open season on these blights to receiving am from the far distant places. In theory, they are illegal, but they have tried to get...
18
18

Wire saw - how effective at cutting steel cable + recommendations
On a cycle trip earlier this week and one of the group made the classic mistake of padlocking the bike with a flexible cable lock without checking that the key matched the lock. A bit of frantic...
9
9

How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more than two devices?
I am investigating my options for getting the LAN to work as well as poosible around our property. We are having quite a lot of changes done at the moment (new shower room, balcony, etc.) and so some...
71
71

18th Amendment wiring regs.
I understand that the only changes to the latest 17th amendment CUs is the addition of SPDs, however I believe there are exceptions to the rule depending on the type of property and the number of...
18
18

OT: Why is there a 2 week time limit on an MOT retest?
Why is there a 2 week time limit on an MOT retest?

Junior hacksaw blades
Is there more than one standard (dimension wise) for junior hacksaw blades? I have 5 off junior hacksaws from different manufactures. They are not the bent metal type but a tiny bit more up-market...
8
8

Voltage for USA question
I will be hopefully visiting America later this year. I have some electrical items. The `infamous netbook`, the mains supply transformer states 100 to 240 volts. The other an electric shaver with no...
23
23

Securing walkway roof to brickwork
I am planning a single pitch roof fitted between two existing cavity walls (house/old garage) and am contemplating fixing to the walls rather than using vertical supports from foundation pads. The...
10
10

Air pressure braking of trains, etc.
What is the difference in meaning between parked and parked up? Listen and listen up? Active and proactive? (I knew about active and reactive) Antennae and antennas? Are these crass Americans taken up...
23
23