Venting subfloor up the chimney?

I'm thinking 2 birds one stone here.....

I've been told I need better underfloor ventilation (there's no ventilation at the back of the house, just the front).

We are doing some refurbishments so it's as good a time as any to rip the floor up and put a couple of snorkel vents in the back wall.

And i'm blocking up a fireplace and apparently supposed to vent the chimney. As it goes against the grain to send hard earned warm air up the chimney I thought of venting the space under the floor into the unused chimney instead.

It seems like a no brainer to me.

Reply to
R D S

And to me.

Reply to
newshound

only possible downside is that it increases sub floor heat loss which may be an issue if the floor is poorly insulated

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just do it in a way that is practical to undo. A flat we blocked the chimney in became stuffy & damp, reopening the chimney solved it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We're in the process of covering it with 25mm polystyrene 'boards' and T&G Caberfloor, so should be OK.

Reply to
R D S

Make that 65mm and its still nowere near enough...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

30% heat loss through the floor. If any air leaks between those inadequate insulation panels then you might as well not bother.
Reply to
Andrew

There's nothing there now. Except the floorboards.

Reply to
R D S

Just read your post and I was thinking of doing the same thing. My floor is insulated but I have poor subfloor ventilation. Rather than use fans I thought I would use the redundant chimney to draw more air. How did this work out for you ?

Reply to
MSK