Powerline adaptors.

Now it all begins to make sense....;-)

Reply to
Jim K..

I do hope you are nowhere near a radio ham or short wave listener, its open season on these blights to receiving am from the far distant places. In theory, they are illegal, but they have tried to get around the regs by attempting to notch out the ham bands, but other services are beginning to realise that they are being affected, overseas shortwave broadcasters to countries who sensor the internet and even aircraft HF and Sea HF radio. The more we get the more ticking and noise bursts over such a huge bandwidth add up to create blanketing noise. Its kind of a bit like single use plastic in that it seems like just a local problem until enough are doing the same thing. So beware, plug based internets days will be numbered I fancy. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There's a whole herd of horses rampaging around while the stable door gently creaks ....

I don't own any powerline devices, but I'd say most people who live in anything larger than a flat tend to have a few of them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think it's more likely the days of ham radio and short wave listening are numbered, at least as far as being a hobby of mass interest and low entry cost.

However maybe the 19th Edition Wiring Regs mandating steel conduit and metalclad accessories for all wiring will reduce the radiation.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Bingo ... and I'm not sure introducing the Novice licence and free licence renewal slowed anything.

That might help (but not retrospectively of course).

Cheers, T i m

(G7ICW who only got the licence to use Packet Radio. I could get into GB7HSN on 2m / 70cms with my converted ex FDK PMR radio and BSXII or KPC3 and roof mounted tri-band dipole). ;-)

Reply to
T i m

The posts that have leaked into this group from UKAR show that the far from being afforded any consideration the weirdos who indulge in the hobby of Ham Radio shouldn?t be granted any spectrum at all.

Radio Amateurs performed a service in the earlier days of radio transmissions in development but I doubt any have come up with a new idea that can add to knowledge for decades and so are just not important enough in the greater scheme of things to justify preventing the majority of the population to use a device that makes implementing communications within their home easier. I would take a punt that far more people are now using such devices than there are Radio Amateurs. If the Hams start to kick up a fuss who do you think would win, the general public or those whose behavior on here could be held up as what radio Hams are really like.

And what power do overseas broadcasters have to stop there use here,and who cares. As for HF used for Air and Marine how much of it is going to be emanating from a plane or vessel that is going to be near enough to a house using powerline adaptors . And if the receiving station has got equipment that cannot tune into HF transmissions well enough that it cannot discriminate between the message sender and a powerline adapter then it isn?t fit enough for purpose anyway.

Your Days are numbered warning is just wishful thinking.

GH

Reply to
Marland

There are QRP CW kits for under £200 for _REAL_ Radio Hams

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

Yes I know, but gradually if they are outlawed they will eventually die. The question is which of the vested interests will win the day. The people wanting to still use hf radio, or the companies who make internet over power cables devices. Some popular tv boxes now seem to have them built in which is a little alarming Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Power line adaptors were always a bodge and Wifi soon (largely) replaced them. Now that Mesh is becoming common place, only a few will remain in service- probably (and I don't intend this to be pejorative) in situations where someone, typically an older person who just wants a system that works, and their friend/family etc has installed one and it remains in service.

There were (sometimes) supplied with TV boxes as you say but I rather doubt this is still the case- Wifi is far more likely these days.

Reply to
Brian Reay

The problem is that wifi is less reliable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean like CB radio that trashed the 27MHz radio control models did?

There are comparatively few radio hams remaining on the HF bands discussing which triode they are using to transmit and what current.

Reply to
Martin Brown

CB is way down these days.

27Mhz is still legal for model cars IIRC.

And HF RC has gone away - digital at 2.4Ghz rules the waves and using MAC addresses instead of channel frequencies you dont have to worry what channel anyone else is on.

The worst that happens is there is no control for a split second. But with data rates down as low as 400 bytes/sec, there is generally room for a lot of planes...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe not if I start streaming videos over wifi from my phone to my laptop.

Reply to
dennis

Well VM recently supplied a newer version of the Tivo box, and the complete pack came with two powerline adapters.

So up to about a year ago they were being shipped as standard.

This suggests that the Super Hub 3 may not have enough WiFi oomph to cover the average home at HD streaming speeds.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

eventually

From the mid 70's Illegal AM CB radio's mostly "imported" from the US did. The legal UK FM CB radios introduced in 1981 didn't. Powerline is legal.

A lot of the intersting stuff seems have disappeared from HF, not many RTTY news feeds left. WeFAX is still about and the observation reports.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

wrong.All that happened is that they gave model planes 35Mhz, and legalised CBs They still interfered with still legal 27Mhz kit

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

models

No. Only imported and Illegal, AM CB radios (26.965 > 27.405 MHz) buggered up 27 MHz RC (26.995 > 27.255 MHz).

In 1981 licenced UK legal FM CB radio appeared (27.60125 > 27.99125 MHz), these legal sets did not bugger up the 27 MHz RC frequencies.

However since 2006 the CEPT/EU frequencies can be used in the UK, with type approved kit. The CEPT/EU frequencies are the same as the, illegal until 2006, AM ones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Works fine for me. I run get_iplayer at home over wifi, and we have any number of wifi devices on every channel there is at work.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In message <bGMYE.10406$ snipped-for-privacy@fx25.am, Jim GM4DHJ ... snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com writes

What happened to the traditional swapping notes on piles and hernias?

Reply to
Ian Jackson