Why have we allowed the mains cabling to be used to send signals and crap on?

IE plug internet adaptors, really rubbish wall warts etc, since nowadays many pieces of equipment like medium wave radios sw radios and the like are unusable unless you use batteries and sit in the middle of a big field. Brian
--
----- --
It would actually be interesting to find out the percentages of people who predominantly listen to radio on:
On 12/01/2020 11:16, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

In the car

Never

On PCs and customon built Raspberry PI hifi radio/ripped CD player

Not currently

On the TVs

Never.

I have found power networking to be unreliable and susceptible to mains trash like CH boiler firing.
Cable it up with ethernet if you want reliability. Surely there are underfloor spaces? Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?
--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable installation.
Bill
On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

You're forgetting he has single-handedly designed everything electronic, installed broadband everywhere, and built his own house from mud and twigs, ...
On 12/01/2020 12:42, Andrew wrote:

yep. I pretty much have actually..
its shoes.

Of course.
Whish reminds me on a local golf course the patrons were complaining of poor mobile signals, so they have this artificial tree that houses mobile aerials. I do despair sometimes. Brian
--
----- --

Indeed.
Why do you need a phone signal when you're playing golf ?
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

So that you can call an ambulance if someone has a medical problem or even when someone trys to call you to tell you that your house is on fire etc.
Some of us even get real radical and have house alarm systems that call you if there is a problem so you can see whats happening and get the cops to show up and frog march the druggy off to the cop shop etc.

A friend of mine dropped dead on the golf course.

My alarm does that.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
writes

Yeah, given the age of most of them, they must have a significant number of those who have a heart attack or stroke or even just break something falling etc.

Have you never been “on call”? Many industries and the NHS have many staff who need to be contactable and sometimes available to go to a place of work.
Are you suggesting that they shouldn’t be allowed to play golf?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

In message

Yes.
And when I was, going out to play wasn't an option.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

Your point being? Just because it wasn’t an option for you doesn’t mean that it’s not an option for others.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Why do you despair about something like that ?
Makes sense to have decent mobile coverage in case someone needs to all an ambulance etc.

On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

At least, not in old properties!
On 12/01/2020 12:43, newshound wrote:

Not in stone, no, but if you have a raised floor and drylined walls well its not impossible... If the walls are plastered onto the stone, well you need to chip out channels and re plaster
The ex wanted the TV moved: I lifted the laminate and used an angle grinder to cut a channel in the screed and buried the coax in that.
I will need to run more cat 5 here soon to replace the mains power link: that will mean ripping off a few square feet of plasterboard, a very long drill and replace, skim and paint.
You just have to want to do it properly
its shoes.
So all this guff from the router makers about fractal aerial design to improve penetration of walls is rubbish, then they try to sell you a mesh system instead. They all forget the one major problem with wifi, that being the return signal from the devices, and how they have no control over that at all.
I'm not saying that there is not an obvious use case for using the mains, I'm just saying that its a very very bad idea due to what it does for interference levels. What you need is some kind of system like a leaky feeder which you can wrap around the outside of your house. Brian
--
----- --

Nope, there are limitations on what that can do.
I replaced my router when I moved to a vdsl service and have shared my internet with my neighbours. The new one now allows them to use my internet from inside their house, hundreds of feet away diagonally across the small park between us.
Previously the #2 grandson used to have to sit on the logs across the park that were intended to stop cars driving thru the park and get eaten alive by the mossies in summer.

Those do work very well indeed.

In practice they do work very well indeed, essentially because its so easy to do very sensitive receivers in the router.

But the modern reality is that FAR more need a decent wifi service around their house and garden now than ever use AM MW, let alone SW,

That doesn’t work with modern house construction that uses metallised reflective insulation between the house frame and the outside layer of brick or other cladding and doesn’t work at all with metal cladding.