Why did it take so long to invent the toiler flapper valve?

Why did it take so long to invent the toiler flapper valve? The old siphon systems were far more complicated.
On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 18:30:47 -0000

The flapper, as used in the US, tends to rot or otherwise wear out, leaving the water running. Expensive when it happens as you leave for a holiday, and only discover it when you return. Give me the British system any time.
--
Davey.

Expensive? You don't have free water? Are you in a 3rd world country or something?
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 11 Jan 2020 23:47:53 -0000, "Commander

Where is there free water?

Quite a bit of Britain doesn't have a metered water supply, so you don't get charged more if you use more.
On 12/01/2020 06:04, micky wrote:

In the middle of the sea
--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius

Water meters for individual households are common things in my little world. Water isn't truly free even on farms where people have their own wells. The farmers have to pay people to put the wells in, repair them, and buy the electricity to run them. Central Nebraska, U.S.A.

You ought to pick where you buy your house more carefully. There should be nearby water, but not so close as you get flooded. Water is after all the most important thing to keep us alive. After air, but that's everywhere.

Surface water? I grew up on a farm with a little creek running through it. Using it for drinking presents its own set of problems. Runoff from fields and cattle lots would make it undrinkable without treatment. Cattle on pasture walked through it. Pumping it from the creek to the house wouldn't be free. Cleaning it enough to use wouldn't be free. Water from underground is filtered by nature. It's much handier and won't freeze up during the winter like our little creek would sometimes. The Ogallala Aquifer is a gift for those in the Central U.S. It gives people a chance to make farms more productive, and water for towns. Not free, of course. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer>

You don't have to clean it yourself, that's why civilisation has things called water companies that clean it on mass much more cheaply.

We live in different worlds. Those guys wouldn't work for free plus it would make farmers/ranchers less self sufficient. Both are bad things.

So you bought a farm somewhere without a good water supply. Doh!
On 01/12/2020 02:46 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

We had a creek too with most houses, including ours, dumping raw sewage into it. You learned to keep your mouth closed when swimming. We did pump it for irrigating the vegetables.
There was a dye works downstream. When they blew their whistle you got out of the water fast or you'd be a pleasant shade of orange or whatever other color was in the dye vat they were dumping.

I do like that. Watch out we're about to pollute you!
Hang on, free suntan?

I don't know. There was a show some years ago showing how things had to tie together to make a modern invention work. It would show the host sitting in a car, for example. Then it would go through the odd parts that had to come together to make a complete car. A carburetor would be useless on a horse drawn buggy. Link here if you're interested: <
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=connections+james+burke

I always used to daydream about taking an item of technology back about 100years to help them kickstart some real progress.
I used to think that taking a car back about 100years would really help. /But then cars changed - items like electronic fuel injection and engine management would be impossible to understand or reproduce.
I did have a Vauxhall Viva when I used to daydream about this though.

Me too, but to make cash.

If you're just in it for the money, that doesn't matter.

My friend had one of those a long time ago. It actually never broke down. Not particularly fast though.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 11 Jan 2020 18:30:47 -0000, "Commander

They had to wait for Flappers, in the 20's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapper

That is not a short skirt.

But they're bigger, so require a larger cistern. And there's that annoyance when you don't push the lever quite hard enough and it doesn't get going very well.