How to release lifting habdkes on recessed drain cover

I need to lift a recessed block paved drain cover. There are what looks like a metal lifting handle on 2 sides which are level with the block paving but I can't seem to release them. I have nanafed to loosen them but they won't lift enough to be able to get hold of them

Reply to
Steve

If they won't lift, I'd clean the muck off & apply ATF, let it do its thing overnight & retry. That's great at freeing rusty things up. Another option is to smack them back down part way, lift, smack down etc, usually gets things moving.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr