Why have we allowed the mains cabling to be used to send signals and crap on?

I think we are making ourselves a serious problem. You are in effect making a huge chunk of the radio spectrum unusable. Mains cabling was never designed to be used like this and huge powers are used due to the losses in the system and interference caused by other devices plugged in. If you want a cable then run it round outside the building then?

Most of the interference from the plug adaptors is from about 4mhz up to about 32mhz, they have filters fro the ham radio bands but not for the international short wave bands. The eternal ticking and screeches even about

200 yds away is ridiculous. The other problem is the switch mode power supply. In the old days they were analogue with large heavy transformers but did not create interference. More usually these days there is a very crude rectifier directly on the mains running a high frequency oscillator of dubious purity and a tiny transformer and the other side is then controlled and used to drive your gear. It is far more efficient and if designed without saturating the ferrite transformer and with proper suppression components need not be an issue but it is because they makers pair down the design to such an extent it is just a jammer. Worst ones are often laptop chargers and some led lamps from China. Then there is ADSL once again forcing very high data rates along unscreened twin wire connections originally designed to only carry voice frequencies. These produce an alternating whining noise and a hash over the whole lf bands. When they are underground its not so bad of course. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Whish reminds me on a local golf course the patrons were complaining of poor mobile signals, so they have this artificial tree that houses mobile aerials. I do despair sometimes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

So all this guff from the router makers about fractal aerial design to improve penetration of walls is rubbish, then they try to sell you a mesh system instead. They all forget the one major problem with wifi, that being the return signal from the devices, and how they have no control over that at all.

I'm not saying that there is not an obvious use case for using the mains, I'm just saying that its a very very bad idea due to what it does for interference levels. What you need is some kind of system like a leaky feeder which you can wrap around the outside of your house. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

In message <qvfiel$tem$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net>, "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Indeed.

Why do you need a phone signal when you're playing golf ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Of course.

Reply to
Pamela

Russ Andrews has a 'solution' for that :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Have you never been ?on call?? Many industries and the NHS have many staff who need to be contactable and sometimes available to go to a place of work.

Are you suggesting that they shouldn?t be allowed to play golf?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

All except DAB and Freeview in my case.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not just a case of drilling a solid stone wall.

It also means moving the furniture in upstairs office, lifting the carpet, pulling up floorboards....

Ditto in the master bedroom which is above the room with the smart TV in.

Also lift carpet and floorboards in landing.

The office is above the kitchen which is the room next door to the smart TV.

In a property this old, there is no dry lining so it's all thistle browning and bonding plaster.

All the beams are solid oak.

Too much labour involved to put in 10m of ethernet cable.

Even running ethernet outside is not viable as there is a 10m rum from smart TV to the outside wall and it would have to be weather rated ethernet cable.

So I can see why a 40 quid set of mains ethernet wall warts are cheaper and quicker than both the labour and materials involved in doing the cable run.

Reply to
stephenten

P.s. the kitchen floor and the floormof the smart TV room are tiled so have no carpet or laminate or floorboards to put back down either!

Reply to
stephenten

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Yes.

And when I was, going out to play wasn't an option.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

The trouble is putting that in in an existing property that is already decorated. I have just run ethernet and satellite/TV/FM/DAB cables upstairs. The only way to do it and keep all those cables hidden neatly away was while redecorating the hall, stairs and landing and it involved pulling down the ceiling and putting a new one up afterwards, as the bathroom floor above is tiled and there is no access from above. I needed to replace the ceiling anyway due to previous water damage, but if I hadn't, it'd have been a hell of a lot of work and disruption just to get signals there that I could have sent there wirelessly.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Your point being? Just because it wasn?t an option for you doesn?t mean that it?s not an option for others.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Er, isn't that the bit of using mains cabling for data you are complaining about. ie mains cabling leaks...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net writes

In wife's car and campervan

In my Defender and at home.

Never

Never

Never

Occasionally in wife's car and campervan

Reply to
bert

Really ?. It used to be lime plaster mixed with horse hair and cows piss.

Join up all the worm holes ? :-)

Reply to
Andrew

When they bought the farmhouse in the 1970s, all the old plaster was falling off.

So it was stripped a d replastered.

Reply to
stephenten

In article snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> scribeth thus

Most all the time..

Not going to the change the motah just because its not got DAB!..

It will be!, more Medium wave Tx's are being switched off soon commercial and BBC local!....

The main overlooked problem with wi-fi is the limited number of channels in the 2.4Ghz band tho I did hear that Ofcom are to widen out the 5.8 Ghz band up her the 6 Ghz region:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Oh wonderful FM BBC Radio Cumbria is almost useless on a portable here and not available down in the town. MW on the other hand works (until it gets dark...). And considering how bumpy most of Cumbria is FM is poor over a lot of the county, despite having 6 FM Tx's. It has

3 MW ones, Barrow, Carlisle and Whitehaven.

It also needs to remembered that BBC local stations have an important role in times of emergency. A role that commercial stations would struggle or simply not be capable if filling. The local prescence being little more than the transmitters(s) feed from an automated playout system the other end of the country.

Only for those that live packed together like sardines. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That would be because you're not packed together like sardines up there? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)