Subject Author Posted Replies

Removing old asbestos cement garages
I may not strictly be a DIY job but I am faced with the task of removiong a pait of old garages built in I guess the 1950's form asbestos cement roof and sides. All very durable but the wood framing,...
3
3

building insurance query slightly OT
A coach has damaged the front boundary garden wall (not the house wall) of both self and a neighbour. I am hopeful of getting the number of the coach company and plenty of people saw it. From here on...
4
4

10mm pipe on rolls
I wanted to add a radiator and reckoned i'd get away with hiding the pipework behind skirting if I used 10mm. I've always found unrolled copper looks nasty when straightened out (not that it would...
2
2

OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?
Having had my first op a week ago I'm aware that whilst i can manage with my existing glasses (with one lens removed over the operated eye)my near vision when both eyes are 'done' will be poor enough...
22
22

OT: Credit rating drops after paying mortgage
A heads up if you're precious about your credit rating, I'm not particularly but I was surprised to get an email to say that there had been activity that had reduced mine. The only thing I could think...
21
21

Tap for M3.5 Screws
Working my way round my new (to me) bungalow I am checking light switches and wall sockets. They have all been fitted with 30mm screws (did they used to be called bolts?) which makes them difficult to...
44
44

Grass cutter Spark Plug resister
When I tried to start my grass cutter today it kept stopping after about half a minute. The cutter has a Honda GCV160 engine. I could not find a fault with the fuel system so I consulted my computer...
11
11

Google Earth search not working
It loads up fine, you can use the sat view and the Street View, but if I type in a location in the search box, it complains that I don't have a connection to the Internet, or the server is down. I'm...
16
16

OT: Oxygen catching fire?
From the Telegraph: "EgyptAir flight MS804 was travelling from France to Egypt in May 2016 when it crashed into the sea south of Crete, killing everyone on board the Airbus A320. Among them were 12...
46
46

Newsgroup usage down
In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to almost nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like that and the news servers are still working. So has...
23
23

Making a ladder stand off
Hi all, I need to get up to roof level and don't have a stand off to get the ladder off the wall enough to get over the gutter. It would need to push the ladder around 10"/ 12" off the wall. I was...
23
23

Drayton Tempus 7 probs after New boiler fitted
We had a new boiler fitted recently & programmer worked fine but yesterday had to have boiler position moved. Power was off 6 hrs+ and now clock is running but 26 mins out ( how do you adjust...

Painting outdoor cables
I have a widget with a low voltage multicore cable, that I want to mount outside. It'll be exposed to sunlight pretty much all the time. The cable is black and I'd like it to be white. So my options...
20
20

[OT] Exclusion zone set up as wind turbine bursts into flames
A 100-metre-tall wind turbine has dramatically burst into flames, sending black smoke billowing into the sky. An investigation into the fire is now underway. An exclusion zone had to be set up while...
21
21

Electric Fire Fault
I've an old school (but fairly new and lightly used, maybe 50 hours) 2 bar electric fire. One of the bars failed to come on a few months back, and recently started playing up, with half a bar lit, and...
22
22