Newsgroup usage down

In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to almost nothing. From this end I see no issues, ie no real spam or anything like that and the news servers are still working. So has everyone found some new place or have they just grown tired of them? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

My newsreader shows 5745 posts in this group for the last 30 days. It will be close since alhough I clear out threads over a month old it measure by the latest post in the thread.

It's the busiest group I take, next is the moderated legal group with 2786 then the Mac group with 1276.

Silversurfers is down to 284 from 10,000 when I first subscribed.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

There will always be some random fluctuation up and down but without a doubt, Usenet users are dying faster than they?re being replaced.

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) snipped-for-privacy@bluey> In the last 6 weeks or so, often busy groups seem to be dwindling to almost

Reply to
Tim+

There was a report in the past few days that social media usage figures are down probably due to lockdowns being ended and fewer people home all day.

Reply to
alan_m

Happens every time we have a spell of fine weather, Brian.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines <jgaines snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> writes

Folk venturing out after Covid rules relaxation?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

who is brian ?

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

A well known camper.

Reply to
jon

Most now use FaceBook groups etc specifically for their interests. Most are moderated to prevent the vast amount of OT stuff we get on here. And, of course, easier to post pics etc relevant to the subject.

It's much the same with other basically text based forums.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'll go with that.

A couple of the groups I follow have had no posts for months.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Not sure. From the previous reply, it rather looks like older threads have suddenly awoken again but as has been said also, as we tend to clear out the old stuff, often any new posts make little sense due to the very long quotes or missing original posts. I have to say I tend to judge on new thread names and keep things in the threads and so distributed over a lot of old threads, it could well be the number of posts mentioned, but it used to be fewer threads and new ones, not old ones with whiskers!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes true, maybe we need an advertising campaign to alert people it exists. Trouble is a lot of folk use to use Outlook to read the messages, modern versions of Outlook dropped support, leaving bespoke readers, google and naff sites like Home Owners Club. Thunderbird still supports them of course, but I imagine that is a niche product now as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If the world famous billionaire who bought Twitter the other day, also bought You tube and Facebook, would he call it youtwitface?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes but I filtered most of the Brexit posts. I do tend to feel that the problem is that DIY is now almost as expensive as getting somebody in to do it and the sheds never seem to stock stuff in the low quantities we might want, then there is the age thing previously mentioned and the increased complexity of doing your own electrical wiring and plumbing of course if you may need to sell the property. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Also of course the lack of easy to use clients in mainstream software is another problem as well as the sure of servers run by isps. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I have to say that nobody is forcing folk to read posts by those who they consider trolls idiots or time wasters, heck, I've been called worse myself. you develop a thick skin on these groups. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Brian is Brian, but Brian is not exclusively this Brian, it could be any Brian. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Sorry don't get that one. Not sure as a blindie I'd want to chance my hand at camping. I might never be seen again! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Now this is where I find Usenet better, being blind means I have no use for pictures, nor do I like the every changing layout of forums and find Facebook very hard to use productively, as it has to be done on line. Text is king for the blind user. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

What can I say, guilty as charged, one needs a hobby for old age. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa