OT cataracts and eye tests: Any experts around?

I had both of mine (refractive lens exchange) done 2 years ago, worked out at 3.5K per eye. Very effective, don't have to wear glasses at all now, whereas before I had to wear multifocals all the time.

Reply to
Biggles

Having had my first op a week ago I'm aware that whilst i can manage with my existing glasses (with one lens removed over the operated eye)my near vision when both eyes are 'done' will be poor enough for me not to be able to read or use computers.

I'm considering buying a pair of non prescription reading glasses to tide me over til I can have my eyes tested and new scripts prepared. Any views on this and where the best place to get them is?

Also is it feasible to have eye test and script for one eye say 6 weeks after op as a 'permanent' solution and for second eye to be done at same time as a temporary script (which would be 3 weeks post op) but then follow up with a second test a few weeks later with the intention of having only that lens replaced in glasses if its needed.

Reply to
Bev

I'm no expert but for the short term you can probably get away with a pair of the cheapest reading glasses that feel comfortable and give you a nice sharp image at working distance to a book or computer screen.

Places that sell them tend to have test charts and mirrors on the stand. I have a pair that were much less than my official prescription since at computer screen distances I just don't need it. I only really need my full glasses prescription for fine work on PCBs and electronics.

Wherever is cheapest. I'd delay having a proper eye test until the eyes have had time to settle down again. No point in having two tests.

Chances are it will be needed so better to use a cheap interim solution to get you by. Things can be quite annoying if you end up with each eye seeing a different magnification or focus. Enough to cause a headache.

If you have a dominant eye correcting for that one will give you the least annoying situation. Usually both eyes when corrected are better than either one individually.

Reply to
Martin Brown

My late partner's flat was always littered with non-prescription reading glasses after her cataract operations. (She tended to put them down and forget where, so a quantity ensured she would always find a pair). They worked fine for her and she bought them at places like pound shops and other discount stores.

That, I would say, is something your optician is best placed to advise on.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

anywhere frankly. Ive used Boots Tescos and Waitrose in the past. lenses all good qualaity. foe frame quality YMMV. If you are free of astig. its the way to go. aqbout 1.25 for puter and

1.75 to 2.5 fgor reading

Assuming replacement lenses are set to 'infinity'.

I run with bifocals so that +1.25 to read the cars instrument panel is available while driving...

I would wait till they are all done and then get a thorough test done.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank TNP et al for the suggestions. I'll go for some +2 and see how I get on. Presumably the bifocals you have are plain glass attop with the bottom +1.25.

That would probably work for me too.

Reply to
Bev

I found +2,5 for reading best I have +3.5 for doing models and fiddly stuff like electrinocs best

I have in fact not had cataract ops so my bifocals are full astigmatism correctors and long sight correctors as well

For just reading or driving you can get a pair of look over the top glasses whatever they are called. But not from Boots!

Once you know what you need close-up wise, then get a full eye test and order what suits your lifestyle

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My astigmatisms are -1.0 -1.25. For really fiddly close up, astigmatism doesn't matter so much, but gets more important the further away the object.

For reading, they are called half-eye.

I just use different glasses, dependent on what I'm doing.

Reply to
Pancho

Martin Brown explained :

Pound shops usually sell +1 to +3.5 and I find them to be good enough for general purposes and cheap to replace. Rather than rely on the charts, I take along my own card with suitably small print on it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Colin Bignell brought next idea :

That doesn't work for me, my eyes tend to adjust to a pair of glasses, so swapping to another pair, even if the same diopter can take a while to get used to.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I have only got that effect once. I used to wait quite a while between new prescriptions and assume that that time the change was bigger than normal.

Reply to
Jock

On 28/04/2022 18:55, Rod Speed wrote: ...

My partner had her vision corrected. It was offered by the surgeon, but I had it done privately, rather than waiting months for the NHS, which could be a factor. The correction was, on his recommendation, to about one dioptre less than perfect eyesight. I forget the reason why. She still needed glasses for reading.

It is done by shaping the lenses fitted during the operation.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

That is usually due to the cylindrical component in prescription glasses, which cheap reading glasses don't have.

I have had to return prescription glasses when one of two pairs, bought together, had the alignment of the cylindrical component a fraction of a degree different in each. While the difference was within permitted manufacturing tolerances, it was enough to make it impossible to swap between them seamlessly.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I carry a monocle on a string hung round my neck.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There are different cataract lens replacements but only one type available on the NHS. The NHS can only offer cataract a monofocal lens implant. You will have to go private for the all singing and dancing type. Prices seem to vary a lot for private but some companies are quoting around "from" £4k per eye for vision corrected lenses but from my limited research there are a lot more fees on top of that.

I'm have one eye done in the next few weeks under the NHS and I've been told that I will still need glasses for reading. I actually still need glasses for my other eye for distance but a plain lens for distance for the eye that will be operated on.

Reply to
alan_m

I misunderstood your post. My partner certainly needed reading glasses after her operation and a different strength pair to use the computer.

Perhaps they have gained that at the expense of distance vision. People are usually less aware of that being poor than of reading being difficult.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Couple of years ago I went to the local Specsavers. As my previous optician said they no longer had my records, so couldn't supply replacement gas permeable lenses (at replacement cost) They wanted to make me a new patient and pay for the full cost of new lenses. Bollox to that.

Specsavers did me gas permeable for a 1/5th of their price. Got some specs too.

However, they too added about plus 1 diopter over my (older) infinity prescription. Dunno if deliberately. Which was very noticeable to me when driving. And totally pointless since not enough plus to use a monitor comfortably.

They said if I wanted the prescription changed, I'd have to pay.

So ordered up gas permeable to the prescription I wanted from the US at a price, including P&P etc for less than Specsavers charge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I have a pal. Never seen him wear specs - even for reading. At over 70 obviously short sighted. Doesn't drive.

After his cataract operations (both eyes) complaining bitterly he had to pay for reading specs. Asked him if he was now pleased having decent distance vision, and said he hadn't noticed. He is a bit odd, though. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I tend to spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen. Laptop on the kitchen table - view over it through the large window across the gardens to the back of the house in the next street.

And with the lenses as supplied by Specsavers, I could no longer make out the brick courses on that house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Why would he notice? For 70 years there was nothing he could usefully see at a distance, and so he would have learned to pay attention (only) to the nearby. That sort of long-ingrained bias would be hard to shift, I'd have thought.

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul