Removing old asbestos cement garages

I may not strictly be a DIY job but I am faced with the task of removiong a pait of old garages built in I guess the 1950's form asbestos cement roof and sides. All very durable but the wood framing, trusses and doors are shot.They each measures 3.5m x 5m.

It's on a site 100 miles away so I guess I have to use a contracor.

I don't want to get ripped off, so any advice or tips on the issue would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Bazza

Yes, mug up on the various types of asbestos, and the relative risks which they pose. The sort of (corrugated?) asbestos sheets used for garage roofs pose very little risk except when they are being cut and creating dust. Resist any sharp intakes of air through the teeth!

Reply to
Roger Mills

DIY, or you will be sorely ripped off. Summary: Wet the stuff, minimise breakage, wear a mask, double bag it, take it to a tip that accepts asbestos.

Reply to
Animal

+1

did a garage a few years ago, removed sheets, broke up into smaller portions, plastic bagged and sealed with tape then double wrapped with more plastic. May be worth checking what your local tips rules are regarding asbestos.

Reply to
critcher