Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Who is the best at spunking away money?
The prison service are not bad. 1. HMP Full Sutton - no escort for the second time in a row and we charge £500 for a failed visit [1]. 2. HMP Moorlands - no escort for the 1st visit, but there was...
10
10

TinyURL not working
When I try to check a TinyURL that I've just created and/or pasted into a message or document, I get an error message from TinyURL saying 'Error: Unable to find URL to redirect to.' Is anyone else...
7
7

BBC4 HD Seems to have appeared on the Midhurst xmitter
But nothing is being broadcast. Samsung channel listing says "coming back soon" or something. We usually have to wait for about 2 years before what the rest of the country gets, is broadcast from...
16
16

Kg v pound
Today, the buses are back on the road, so rather than using the car or walking, I was able to take a trip to a local market where I spotted several traders had boycotted kilogram pricing for pound...
240
240

How long to leave a microwave oven to allow capacitors to discharge before taking the back off
The door-latching mechanism has failed on our microwave. It may be possible for me to repair it if a spring has become unlatched. How long should I wait after unplugging a microwave before any...
12
12

Grumble in passing - table legs
Looking at possibly putting a table into a bay window, with the top cut to fit the curve. For this I need a top and some legs (no, really). My first attempt at finding table legs shows them at about...
2
2

Flexi tubs
Does anyone sell "better" versions of those flexible builders rubble tubs? Various ones I've bought all seem to crease/crack/rip after about 12-18 months...
3
3

Automatically created websites?
Why do I often find websites with very weird English? Have these been translated badly or entirely computer generated? Here's an example: "Most of the hobbits and professional electronic have one...
34
34

Cling film
I have a dispenser in the kitchen which takes cling film, foil and a kitchen roll. Designed for 300mm rolls. For some reason, cling film now seems to be 350mm wide in every supermarket I've checked....
10
10

Electric cable history
I saw former neighbours, who have moved house (address not stated for legal reasons). She told me a full rewire is needed. According to the electrician, the cable is older than rubber cable [VIR, I...
42
42

bandsaw notes
1. I didn't really think I'd be able to, but when I needed a 1mm shim of hardwood I was able to cut one with great precision. 2. My large metal cutting bandsaw was in the shed and it was raining and...
2
2

History of the English Speaking People
This was published by Robert Maxwell's company in weekly (I think) sections. I bought these and subsequently added the 7 binders. I still have them but they are in storage. If anyone else still has...

Table saw kickback (warning youtube clip :) )
Learn from my mistake. Table saw accident caught on Nest camera. I’m posting in hopes that others learn from my multiple mistakes. - Never back out a work piece - Install a riving knife - Do not run...
4
4

OT: Putting in an offer for a house
Maybe I'm being paranoid but it's 38 years since we moved in here and I'm not au fait with modern practices. I believe the estate agent has a legal responsibility to pass on to the vendor any and all...
13
13

Price of bread at Lidl - why discount it?
I've just been in Lidl doing some food shopping. On my list was bread and I usually buy a Warmburtons Toasty, to put in two slice bags, in the freezer - defrosting as needed, because I don't eat much....
11
11