Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Lern-yerself Databases.
I now have a spare computer on to which I have installed Ubuntu. I would like to learn about databases. Can anyone recommend some websites / books / subject areas, etc? Thanks in advance, David Paste.
30
30

OT: End-of-life electric vehicle batteries.
Recently I saw a video where the presenter advoicated the re-used of EV batterioes for use in houses as a storage method for things like solar electricity production. He stated that even though a (for...
19
19

TV: Monty Don's Real Craft
For those who don't peruse the More4 schedules in detail, from Monday 14 April, 9pmnew series Monty Don's Real Craft. First two episodes (not sure how many there are in total) are Blacksmiths and...
11
11

Lidl (Florabest) electric chainsaw. Lubrication path?
I'm pretty sure no oil reached the chain while I was using this saw for the first time today but as I (a)had soaked the chain in oil before using it and (b)didn't need to run it for very long, no harm...
8
8

Appalling Broadband Performance
How is this for BT 21st century BroadBand performance. Used to get around 2.5MB (pay for an up to 16MB unlimited service) Escalating to BT not getting very far, they advise there is no guarantee of...
18
18

DHL, Grrrrr!
Been expecting a delivery from DHL today, out for delivery by 2pm it said online, I've been working in the garage (with the garage door open) or working in the lounge, got to 2pm and I checked online...
1
1

Flexible endoscope recommendations?
I'm looking for one of those endoscopes with its own monitor for hunting around inside car bodywork, etc. (I already have a basic USB one but I want to avoid having to mess around with a laptop as...
21
21

Ceramic knives - follow up
I posted a while back about ceramic paring knives from Lidl and received quite a bit of adverse comment on their usability and fragility. However they seem to be very good when used within their...
12
12

Storing zinc-air batteries
I have a packet of Rayovac 675 zinc-air batteries ("hearing-aid batteries", according to the packet). They are nominally 1.45V, but I measured them at 1.3V or so with my multimeter, including new ones...
2
2

Electric shower, lime scale
Once again the overheat trip on the Aqualisa Quartz shower in my wife's flat is giving problems. The complete shower has been replaced under warranty several times and it now appears the manufacturer...
9
9

Mini Guttering
The saga of my son's summerhouse continues. He has fitted the shingle roof over the leaky wooden original, so now he needs the gutters to dispose of the now-external water. He went to Wickes and...
8
8

Is this a record?
I just recieved an item of spam mail dated August 1996.
14
14

Make your own shower tray?
Is it feasible to *make* a shower tray (or, better, the lower part of a shower cubicle) for a motorhome? I have had trouble sourcing a shower tray that is suitable so I wonder whether a shower tray...
20
20

Repainting timber which has an unknown existing paint finish
Simple query: what preparation is required to repaint interior wood that has a preexisting paint finish? The problem is that I don't know whether the existing paint is water-based or oil-based. Is...
3
3

OT Bills of Lading emails
Is anybody else getting these? I get 2-3 a week, all claiming that the .htm attachment is a bill of lading that I need to open, which obviously I don't. Colin Bignell
6
6