Appalling Broadband Performance

How is this for BT 21st century BroadBand performance.

Used to get around 2.5MB (pay for an up to 16MB unlimited service)

Escalating to BT not getting very far, they advise there is no guarantee of service, only that it will be up to 16MB

They have now turned on Interleaving to see if that will help ... have to wait 3 days before they will consider anything else.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Which is true but it might be worth digging about to see if you can get one of the older and possibly cheaper offerings.

As far as the speed (or lack of) is concerned:

How far are you from the exchange? How much of that is overhead?

Can you extract some line stats from the modem? > Loss up and down stream > Noise up and down stream

What "ADSL filter" are you using? How many?

Any extension wiring? Topography of them? Loop in/out, star, combination.

If you lift the reciever on a wired phone and dial a single digit to clear the dial tone are there any whistles, pops, crackles or noise? Listen for at least a minute.

Interleaving is normally automatic during the 10 day training period, it can be forced on or off though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Had an issue last week where download speed reported ok at 6.35 but upload was 0.01 ! The overall performance was atrocious presumably as the link was always waiting for acks or their modern equivilence from my end. BT eventually sorted it after about 8 hours

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In article , Rick Hughes scribeth thus

We've got one like that waay out in the sticks;(.

Been like that since the word go .. which it sometimes does..

Still never mind .. we were treated to a magnificent pantomime orchestrated buy Openwoe yesterday on a fibre upgrade. Total c*ck up the whole thing from start to finish all 4 hours of it, then they had the audacity to send us an e-mail saying that we weren't there on site and now thats 90 quid thanks..

They got this AM a rather sarcastic mail which had the desired effect;!.

Lets see if they can get it right second time around, else I'm billing them for my time which I think 100 sheets an hour is quite reasonable;-?.....

Reply to
tony sayer

A friend of mine had her BT broadband speed go down to 0.25Mb/s download but 0.7Mb/s upload! After several days of conversations with Mombai, eventually an "engineer" there said he would "reset the line", and it miraculously returned to about 4.5Mb/s download and 0.7Mb/s upload. I would love to know what this was all about.

Reply to
Dave W

I'm 500 metres from a modern exchange. I went from 1.5 to 15 when I ditched BT in favour of PlusNet. (Took a little bit of hassling).

Reply to
newshound

a bad line that gets repaired doesn't always get reset so when you have shit performance the first thing is to reboot the router and start looking at error rates. If they are low, get your ISP to reset the line.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd only agree to a down to speed personally, a modem is up to after all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Waiting. If the speed reduction was due to just a relatively short period of noise (thunderstorm) the DSLAM should note the resynced higher seed in a less than 24 hours and then up the BRAS rate. If the speed reduction was due toa line fault that lasted a day or three you might need to wait up to 72 hours. Trouble is the system can get stuck with a noise margin that is far too high and sync speeds thus forced down. The only way out is to get your ISP to get BT to trigger the 10 day training period, this may or may not be a "line reset".

You really need to know what the line performs like normally as error rates, particularly FEC, vary from day to night. If the system has got a stuck noise margin the error rates will be low and so will be the sync rate but you need to know what the sync rate ought to be at that noise margin.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So the line should be capable of better if it gets fixed.

You need a clued-up ISP...

Andrew Gabriel

In my case, the speed had been down for days, but went back instantly after the reset. What does "reset" involve - can anyone explain without using terms like 'resynced', 'DSLAM', 'BRAS' that I don't know? I am but a lowly worm who has done electronics and software design but has no telecomms experience.

Reply to
Dave W

You could try powering down your router.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It probably means that a new ten day training period has been triggered.

There is plenty of information out there that google will find for you. The "knowledge bases" of the more enlightend ISPs such as Zen, A&A, Clara etc are probably the pages worth reading but not exclusively.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My ADSL 2+ line has also done the ADSL in reverse trick a couple of times i n the last year. Seems Openreach don't automatically reset the line after r epairing the fault, as I had to email my ISP to get the training period res tarted and the speed back up to my normal 12 down 1 up, not bad for a fairl y out in the sticks location.

Reply to
airsmoothed

No, is the answer. The second part of the answer is that you should do some research. Look here for openers:

Tim Streater

what happens is that when the negotiation happens wioth the DSLAM, the DSLAM can enforce a nose margin on the router forcing it to go for slower speeds and a presumed more stable connection.

resetting it removes all that so it starts at the most wild and woolly setting and then proceeds to look at error rates and negotiate the link down to an acceptable error rate.

Now I have seen that happen in real tiem but I have NEVER seen it go back up.

Despite it allegedly being part of the whole deal. Ny synch speed on the new router has been steady without variatin for over 9 months now with no resyncs whatsoever.

I need a reset too, its too conservative. I used to get one every few days before at a rather higher speed.

BUt its no big deal so its a job for a 'quiet day' when er indoors is gardening so I don't get 'bloody internet's gone away' every few minutes while it negotiates down.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you very much.

Reply to
Dave W

If you are a BT user aren't you supposed to test using their in house test site rather than the BT Wholesale one intended for other ISPs?

You should have been on interleaving at that pathetic connection rate to begin with. Something is badly wrong or you are at the wrong end of a very long piece of wet string.

A fairly decent tactic is to report a POTS voice grade line fault and hope that the basic TDR fault checker will find it. A dry joint or leakage to ground (water in a connector) could do this.

Otherwise ask for your MAC and move to Plusnet or Zen.

Reply to
Martin Brown

BRAS is the fastest data transfer that the exchange thinks your line can handle in practice. Sync is the speed that it has chosen.

Actual < BRAS < Sync

Reset has the effect of zapping the exchanges statistics and forcing it to start again from a conservative geusstimate of sync speed based on line attenuation. It then tweaks up or down usually every three days until the error rate to speed tradeoff is acceptable. If things get really bad it will enter a death spiral losing speed every time sync drops out until it hits rock bottom. Sometimes it takes way too long to come back up from there so a reset at the exchange is useful.

This might help by way of an explanation:

Martin Brown