Ceramic knives - follow up

I posted a while back about ceramic paring knives from Lidl and received quite a bit of adverse comment on their usability and fragility.

However they seem to be very good when used within their limits. Cutting up fruit and smaller vegetables, especially tomatoes, they knock spots off traditional steel blades.

So, a qualified endorsement.

I still use steel blades for other things, though.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

They cut nicely. But what use is that if they dont last long?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, they have lasted so far.

Still as sharp as when brand new.

When do you think they will wear out?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Drop them once and they shatter

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You said they wear out.

Now you won't put a value on that and instead say the shatter.

Is your information reliable?

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Yet another example of the advice you get here being worth what you paid for it...

Reply to
Phil

No, I didnt. Sigh

I've no idea what that means, and am not much interested, you can be a prat on your own

NT

Reply to
meow2222

He said they "dont last long". If he's in the habit of dropping his knives on the floor, that's probably true for him.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

They only need be dropped once

God this thread is stupid

Reply to
meow2222

No he didn't. He said "they don't last long". You interpreted that to mean "they wear out", but actually he must have meant "they last until the first time they are dropped" - which if you are less clumsy than me might actually be quite a long time.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I have been very happy with the ceramic blades of some fruit/spud peelers I have had. Trouble has been the extremely poor quality of the handle which has failed to hold the blade properly. And that the whole assembly was a bit less than delicate. However they could skim a lovely fine peeling off the most delicate fruit.

Afraid I have gone back to steel...

Reply to
polygonum

They don't take any form of abuse. If you drop them they are likely to shatter into large pieces. If you put them in a sink and put something like a plate/dish on top they will break.

They are very sharp when new but the edge is easily chipped. I also found them unsuitable for peeling potatoes/fruit.

Reply to
alan

Sum of its parts?

Jim K