Subject Author Posted Replies

Anyone any good at steel beam calcs
Need to rebuild double garage flat roof. Currently held up by 2 x pretty scary "home laminated" plywood nonsenses that I have propped. Beams need to be C 6.5m depth, supporting 7ft timber cross...
27
27

Why do WIFI access points have 2-3 antennae?
And if you wanted to add a remote antenna on a lead (for better antenna placement), can you just add one and does it matter which of the 2 or 3 sockets you connect it to? Could you even add 2 or 3...
27
27

Re: Re: Anyone for an 80 light bulb?
Why not? Google doesn't have to put its servers on wi-fi so that phones can communicate with them. -- Richard
1
1

Best way to attach plastic sheets
We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe, covered in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the allotment. We dont know where to get a large sheet of...
12
12

Phone Line move (OT)
My daughter gets her phone / broadband via TalkTalk. She is about to move house and they have told her that can continue her account at the new address but cannot transfer her number. I guess this is...
13
13

Anyone for an 80 light bulb?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/lifx-17w-wi-fi-led-intelligent-light-bulb-bayonet-cap-a83nl
35
35

[OT with a hint of DIY] - Deciding stuff...
I dunno if it's OCD or what - but I've always had trouble making certain types of decision. Maybe you can help me out with a specific one below, but I'd like to improve my mind while I'm at it......
16
16

Magic lantern project
For an art installation: Two lanterns will project slightly different image s from glass slides onto the same screen. One should fade up as, or after, the other fades down. The difficult bit is that...
12
12

pcb design for beginners?
Hello, Are there any web sites you recommend for teaching someone (me) about pcb design or can you describe the process here? What software is easy to learn for designing pcbs? I know you can send...
20
20

Table saws
After all this time without one, a current job has driven me to crave a table saw as it's the only way I can think of doing it. I'm sure it would be useful for plenty of other things as well. Although...
26
26

which timber for cast iron park bench rebuild?
Cast iron bench ends,(3 - one in middle) What timber to use for "slats" for low/no maintenance? I envisage finished bench being 8ft long, so what size timbers should I use? TIA Jim K
19
19

Electric symbols - what does this one mean?
UK 3-pin sockets and two USB ports ========== Whats the 3 pronged symbol below the USB on the first pic? The USB socket is available from Midlands-based firm Group Gear. The plate features two...
39
39

Electrical test app
may be of interest to someone Allan http://content.fluke.com/htm/mobile-app/infopage.html

How to fit stem castors?
I bought 4 small-ish stem castors from Wilko yesterday, but the packets don't come with fitting instructions or what size hole to drill. The stem housing (the part that you hammer in to the table leg)...
3
3

National Grid tripping out
I live in Stoke on Trnt and have experienced millisecond blackouts from the national grig electricity supply for as long as I can remember. I have just had 3 such outages in the lst few minutes. What...
45
45