Best way to attach plastic sheets

We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe, covered in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West London, so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together, and if glue is the answer; what is the best type of glue to use please? Bearing in mind we would probably have to use lots of it and it would have to be one hundred percent waterproof. Thanks.

Reply to
T Blake

We want to make a Cloche with hoops of bent-over plastic water pipe, covered in Plastic sheeting; to end up like a minature Polytunnel for the allotment.

We dont know where to get a large sheet of plastic from here in North West London, so we are going to stick together 'cut-open' clear plastic bags.

What would be the simplest way to stick the bags together, and if glue is the answer; what is the best type of glue to use please? Bearing in mind we would probably have to use lots of it and it would have to be one hundred percent waterproof. Thanks. ==================================================

Try these. Don't know if they have all of your answers, but with regards sheeting you will find that too. Used to be just round the corner to me but I believe they have moved off the Isle of Wight.

Mike

'Mike'

The internet.

You won't glue polythene - the usual option is tape.

Plastic bags will be too weak as well - plastic comes in gauges - you'll want something reasonable heavy.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think you'd be better off finding a source of polythene sheet, rather than gluing bags together, B&Q or Wickes sell various gauges. The lightest dust sheet probably not strong enough and the heaviest (3mm thick) probably overkill for a cloche ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , T Blake writes

Get the right stuff delivered eg.

I'm using blue poly for *fruit cage* netting but doubt it would be sufficiently rigid for a walk in tunnel.

Metal frames overcook the plastic where they contact.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Please don't do that, unless you are very very lucky, with some sun and some frost they crack up very quickly. Try to get some of the proper uv and frost proof stuff as it is cheaper in the long run.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Uh, however did you find urg, if you're not ON the interwebbynet WITH a search engine?

Poor quality troll, must try harder.

Janet

Reply to
Janet

Get some corrugated transparent PVC sheet like this stuff from Screwfix

Bends at right angles to the run of corrugations into a nice semicircle, but very rigid parallel to them. Get the right size and you probably won't even need the plastic water pipe to support it, just a few pegs to keep it in place.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Plastic bags won't last two minutes. It needs to be UV stabilised ploythene. Polythene is joined with special clear tape for outdoor use. "Visqueen" is a well known make. Lasts about 15 years.

Garden centre/nursery is your best bet.

Bit late now for cloches, the season is past. They have been taken off now, Using them now will cause overheating and drought conditions inside. You have to have an arrangement so plants can be watered. ie ability to lift the plastic or maybe soaker hose?

Reply to
harryagain

I'm pretty sure I remember Geoff Hamiton using the blue pipe for cloches on "Gardeners' World". And you can see plenty being used on allotments. However the blue stuff isn't UV resistant and will grow brittle after a couple of years. Which may or may not matter depending on whether its being moved about. The thinner white stuff is more UV resistant but is more expensive. Although this is from years ago.

Homebase do heavy duty plastic sheet

michael adams

michael adams

Thanks Janet. Judging by the 'quality' of your many posts, that comment seems fairly typical; gin and tonic time was it?

Reply to
T Blake

simple as 1,2 3 - 'How to Glue Plastic Sheeting | eHow UK'

callumj85

More likely to be meths and dog piss.

Reply to
Gazz