Best way to add an outlet to a yard lamp?

We have a yard lamp on a post in the front yard. The wife likes (me) to put a string in lights around the pole every Christmas. Several years ago, just as a quick and dirty solution, I cut the male plug and about 6-8" of wire from a string of lights. I then put one of those adapters that screw into a lamp socket and provide a couple of outlets:

I then thread the loose ends of the plug I cut off the string through the small drain holes in the bottom of the lamp housing and reattach them to the light string with electrical caps.

This has worked for several years, but it's not ideal. I think I'd like to add a permanent outlet to that lamp post. I'd appreciate suggestions as to the best way to do it.

Here are the solutions I came up with:

  1. Do just what I am doing, but use a short (6-8") extension cord with molded plugs on each end, rather than bare wires. This is the simplest solution, but it requires drilling a much larger hole in the lamp housing base. It also means that either I leave the adapter in the socket year round with the extension cord plugged in and dangling out the bottom, which is mildly unsightly, or I have to take the housing apart every year, which is no big deal.

  1. Install a permanent outlet on the pole. I would have to take the pole apart and make a splice, then find a receptable that I would mount in a hole cut into the pole. This is a nicer solution, but a lot more work. It would probably be best to put the outlet at the base of the pole, but the pole is in the middle of a round brick planter and I bet the base is 12-18" down. I don't think I'll be allowed to dig it up.

So, unless someone can suggest another solution, I'll probably go with the short extension cord and take the housing apart every year.

Reply to
Square Peg

There is a thing made, although I can't find it online. It's a short section of typical 3" post, made to fit between the existing post and the existing fixture. It has a built in GFCI outlet or at least a place to install one. The other alternative is to use an "FS" box, also known as "Bell Box". Using a hole saw, cut a 7/8 hole near the base of the post, snake a short piece of cable up the post to where the splice is. Mount the FS box over the hole attaching the cable to a connector through the back knockout. Screw the box to the pole using self-drilling screws, and install a GFCI outlet with "in use" cover

Reply to
RBM

Bingo! We have a winner! If you can't find a box the same color as the pole, you can scuff, degrease, and spray paint it before you install it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Or install a weatherproof box on a pipe adjacent to the pole, wire it using direct burial wiring. The GFCI outlet (if the circuit is not already protected by one) and the weatherproof cover are a requirement. If in doubt, hire someone to do this for you, or at least buy and read a good book on the topic. Electrical work is not for the inexperienced, particularly the outdoor stuff. I'm still finding and gradually correcting hack job work that was done when the original owner finished the basement of my house, it's amazing the place never burned down. Backwire terminals, wires cut way too short, switches on the neutrals, cheap junky receptacles that fall apart. I lost count of the number of times I pulled one out of the box and wires pulled right out the back of it.

Reply to
James Sweet

replying to aemeijers, Pinninvest wrote: What is the winner? I do not know how you found a solution. I have been looking for a short post extender with the outlet included but have not found any on-line.. I wiould appreciate any giodance you can provide. Thank you

Reply to
Pinninvest

replying to RBM, Pinninvest wrote: Has anyone been able to find a post extender with an opening for an outlet?

Reply to
Pinninvest

Traitor_666

replying to Pinninvest, JBB wrote: Here's the best I've found so far. Still hunting. Not sure if the black one fits a 3" post. I am considering buying an post extension and hacking it to add the outlet but that could get messy. You would think these things would be more common.

JBB

The National Electrical Code requires the use of ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets outdoors. Does the item you are considering from mrosupply.com contain a GFCI? The listing doesn't explicitly say so. Don't risk electrocution!

Reply to
Peter

Maybe you mean the other supplier? Mrosupply is just an empty box, you can put what you want in it. For either, you can also put the GFCI anywhere upstream at the house or as a breaker in the panel.

Biggest issue I see is the light would have to be on for the outlet to be energized, but that's probably fine, unless you want to power something that's going to be on 24/7 or something.

Reply to
trader_4

I have 2 almost identical post lamps. I say almost because one has an outlet/cover just under the lamp fixture, the other doesn't. My wife uses said outlet at Christmas to put some greenery/lights around the post. On the other one, I just added an outdoor outlet box about 6 or so inches from the ground. It has an outlet and an in-use cover. The whole circuit is on a GFCI breaker. I wish the one with the included outlet was in-use, but in 10 years of Christmas, no false trips. Maybe the light fixture just above it provides enough of an "umbrella" to stop it from getting wet.

Reply to
Art Todesco