Save removal abandoned front yard gas lamp?

I have lived in my house in Silver Spring MD for last ten years, a pole mounted gas lamp in front yard has always been inoperative.

What is involved in safely removing it with respect to the gas feed? Where is this type of appliance connected to the gas mains?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerome Whelan

Would likely be connected inside the house, with a shutoff valve. Call the utility; they may come out no charge.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Chuckle- in many areas they may actually the lamp. (well, technically, at least.) 'Charmglow', or some similar silly word, right? I remember as a kid in the 60s, the Gas Company installed the damn things by the thousands in the new subdivision tract houses, as advertising that the houses were 'clean and natural gas heat'. They were a little fussy to set up and maintain, so each new homeowner got a sticker of who to call for upkeep on the thing. They never did impress me much. Likely to be a tiny side tap near gas meter feed, or close to where gas line goes through basement wall.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

replying to ameijers, Michael Meszaros wrote: Unfortunately, ours is connected outside under the front lawn. I will call the gas company and let you know the result.

Reply to
Michael Meszaros

Please hurry. Ameijers has been waiting 13 years for the answer. Homemoaners, clueless as ever.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader_4, propertymanagementtips wrote: Kind of a rude comment. Personally, just ran into a situation where an HOA notified us that the lantern has to be working (new board, now enforcing long forgotten rules) so I stumbled on this thread which gave us some good ideas on next steps.

Reply to
propertymanagementtips

replying to trader_4, propertymanagementtips wrote: Oh ha, I get it now. Original post was from 2004. Speaks to how outdated these lanterns are.

Reply to
propertymanagementtips

replying to Michael Meszaros, RacStar wrote: What was the result? I live in DC and would like mine removed

Reply to
RacStar

replying to Michael Meszaros, T wrote: Hello, Were you able to find out who removes these gas lights from the front yard?

Outdated suggestion to call the gas company is still valid, as ownership laws and utility codes vary by jurisdiction.

Reply to
Peter

I have similar inquiry. Hello - we have a non working gas lamp post that we would like to just knock down. Is it possible to turn off that line then remove the lamp post it does that line need to be cap.

Reply to
RC

Best is to cut the line where you are turning it off and capping there. If you turn it off and don't cap you just never know what can happen down the line. Break it at the valve and cap or plug and be done.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski