door to door salespests

a nice suggestion I just saw:
"Say that the judge made it very clear they’re not allowed to talk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."
NT

Lol..
wrote in message

One advantage of living on a rural trunk road with no pavements or lights is we don’t get door to door sales pests :)
Andrew

We found their number reduced greatly after small but clear "No Cold Caller" signs above letterbox and bell-push. Sellers don't want to waste their time and charities are fearful of even tighter regulation. Indeed, the only charity agent who rang the door last year blanched, apologised profusely and almost cried when I pointed out the sign.
It doesn't stop the Seven Day Adventists though.
--
Robin
On Tuesday, 12 September 2017 11:27:27 UTC+1, Robin wrote:

alk to people from charities any more. Not after last time."

Someone once told me that when the JW visited they got their kid to shout o ut from another room, mum the waters too hot, to which mum replied shut up and get back in teh saucepan I'm hungry, she was 'gothed' up at the time re ady to go out. although I wouldn't try such a thing in case socail services got called and turn up 6 months later ;-)
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 11:27:23 +0100, Robin wrote:

10% of our callers use the bell push. The rest just knock.

And then leave a card saying " we couldn't deliver your parcel" or words to that effect.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 12/09/2017 14:55, charles wrote:

The favourite around my way is for the Royal Mail person to put a card through saying that the package is too large for the letter box. On visiting the depot to pick it up I find that my 'package' consists of a number of small jiffy bags held together with an elastic band. Each of the jiffy bags would easily fit my letter box but the the delivery person is too lazy and/or thick to remove the elastic band hence the combined package is too large. It must take the delivery person longer to write out the card than to actually remove the band.
I had to collect yet another of these combined packages yesterday.
I do wonder if it is a deliberate policy to ensure enough people use the depot in order to keep it open. The actually sorting of letters is no longer performed at the depot - that functionality has been centralised 40 miles away.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 3:46:09 PM UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

s to

There is another explanation. Sometimes, to save time, they simply push in the card without bothering to see if you are in or not. I've had this hap pen when I was, by chance, standing just inside the door so I was able to open it and ask for the parcel. He didn't have it with him.
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 06:14:26 -0700, RobertL wrote:

We had that and I noticed his van from the window. Too late to stop him.
The parcel was for SWMBO - who immediately rang his office. They called him and he swore blind he'd knocked and rung twice and waited at least a couple of minutes.
SWMBO mentioned that this wasn't the case and it was all on CCTV. They sent him back half an hour later. He wasn't happy.
On 12/09/2017 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:

perhaps we get a better class of callers who can read (and so see the sign "above letterbox" before knocking)
--
Robin
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:35:36 +0100, Robin wrote:

I've stuck the doorbell *on* the glass where they knock (no door knocker for us). The only response I ever get is "sometimes they don't work".
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:59:04 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

Yes, I've had that.

Having done regular house calls for some years I understand the dilemma. If you press the bell and hear nothing, what do you do? If the bell is not working you then need to wait a long time (which is a nuisance if you are in a hurry) as knocking too soon sounds rude if the bell did in fact go off in a distant part of the house. My solution was to ring the bell and immediately knock as well (unless I actually heard a fairly loud bell). And you still get criticised for that. It is impossible to win with some people.
--

Roger Hayter

calling, by arrangement to collect something, I rang the bell - no reply so I tried again - no reply so I knowed. Went back to my car and found a phone number - rang and got voicemail, so I wa s about to drive away when my phone rang - Oh I was in the shower. no, the doorbell doesn't work. This at a house which two expensive cars outside - both with personalised number platesso perhaps they couldn't afford to get a new door bell.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

<snip> >calling, by arrangement to collect something, I rang the bell - no reply so

And not that uncommon (and hence why people knock / flap etc).

Maybe vanity means more to them than visitors ... or because they have spent all their money on their vanity they can't afford to pay someone to look at it for them (as they probably wouldn't know, or be bothered to look into what to do themselves)? ;-)
We have rechargeable batteries in our main (wired) doorbell unit and as they go flat the 'Ding-dong' randomly just becomes a 'Ding'. At that point I get the second set of 4 x rechargeable C cells into the bell unit and put the others on charge. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 13:08:41 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Well I told my butler to contact the handyman ... he obviously forgot, what am I expected to do ! C cells seem a bit OTT you could use rechargble AAAs you could also use a solar panel to recharge the batteries. A windmill might do it too. ;-) Then you'd have free doorbell power and help save the enviorment.
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 05:25:49 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave

Quite.

Why does it?
https://www.friedland.co.uk/EN-GB/CHIMES/FIXEDCHIMES/Pages/D107.aspx

I don't need to, I can use the rechargeable C cells?

I could, but it's much easier just recharging them as required than buying, fitting and wiring a solar panel.

Is that you harry?

Solar panels save the environment? Since when?
Cheers, T i m
On Wednesday, 13 September 2017 13:40:07 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

ply so

phone

hat am I expected to do !

Because C cells were for larger short curent usage, those and D cells were standard in the days you had to drive a mechanical a solendiod that hit tw o bells alterantively.

That doesn't indicate recharchable cells are required. Cs & Ds were used for long life with interminatend discharge. It just seems a bit of a waste to use C recharables that's all.

OK for me they'd have seemed a bit pricey for the use they are put to. We have over a dozen DMMs we stopped using partly because they used 6 X C cells. C cells are about 4x the price of AA/AAA.

So you need 4 in the bell unit and 4 on charge that's about £30+ worth of batteries just seems a lot to me. I had a simialar bell cheap alkaline lasted over 3 years and I only needed 4 at a time.

A couple of years ago a student project was to make something that could b e powered by renewable energy a combined doorbell and letter box was design ed. Using a solar panel and a detector on the letter flap that would if activat ed send you an email that you'd got post, the students never did understand why I found this funny.

It's a difficult one to work out. Did yuo work out the enviomental ineffcic ny of producing an extra 4 cells. I don't supose yuo saw Horizon the othernight with prof cox calculating the infrastructure power wise needed to replace everything with re-newable.
On 13/09/2017 14:49, whisky-dave wrote:

The chargers are more expensive, and you may only have the AA/AAA type. Maplin sell battery converters than hold AA cells and are the size of C (or D) cells. (For that matter, judging from the mAh rating C and D rechargeables may be AA batteries in oversized cases. AA batteries can be up to 2400 mAh.)
--
Max Demian