door to door salespests

No, not that loudly or I might hear them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Many seem to ring the bell but also knock on the glass or flap the letterbox a few times because although the doorbell is quite loud, it's in the middle of the house and you can't always hear it outside the front door (so no feedback for them to prove the doorbell works).

I might do the same thing as a ringing tone and put another doorbell behind the door just for them. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Make a sign "can't hear knocks only bell."

Reply to
FMurtz

That rings a bell?

Reply to
FMurtz

I have the parts sitting on the shelf beside me. A small 'glass speaker' that can play a selected audio file when the bell push is depressed. I am torn between a voice intoning "the bell has been activated, please wait" and the start of 'Time' from Dark Side of the Moon.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I like the 2nd idea, but if it's like the couriers round here, they knock the glass immediately after pressing the bell, even though they must hear the bell which is in the hall.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Bob Eager writes

Much more fun to have excerpts from random tracks :

Dave Edmonds, I hear you knocking Anita Ward, Ring my bell Little Richard, Keep a knocking A loop of 'Go Away' from Go Away Little Girl

etc. :-)

Reply to
Graeme

I had a colleague who mounted a very large loudspeaker in the ceiling of his stairwell. Activating the bell push started a tape cartridge player with the full Westminster Chimes for midnight. (there was a cancel button on his side of the door)

Reply to
charles

I have to visit clients in their homes, by appointment, as part of my job, and I tend to ring a bell if there is one. If I can't hear a bell ringing, or if don't get any reply (or sounds of people hunting for their keys, yelling "Just a moment" or running downstairs) after a little while, I will knock - loudly.

But I always try the bell as a first resort.

Reply to
NY

I have actually obtained that very thing (the chimes, that is) as another option.

Reply to
Bob Eager

yep I got that as well

"so push the bloody thing to find out first you wanker"

tim

Reply to
tim...

I don't have a door knocker either

doesn't stop them knocking

tim

Reply to
tim...

I'd have "Hey dude visitors" from southparks first episode anal probe. You can buy kits that allow you to record your own messages.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Problem is that still doesn't prove it's working, because you might not be able to hear an indoor bell from outside my downstaors neirbour when she re ached 90 she started to go deaf, so the bell was moved from above the front door to the back of the house where she lived and that was also connected to a light that flashed. Before they did that I used to hear them ringing a nd knocking bit she didn;t so I went into the back garden with a torch and shone it through her window moving it up and down then she;d know someone w as at the front door, which was usually the chemist trying to deliever her box of medication. Thing is even if she did hear she wouldnlt open the door after dark unless she was expecting someone.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Which is why I'm installing a speaker, as I said above. They won't be able to use that excuse.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I can do that anyway. It's just an MP3 on the server. Pick up an internal phone, dial 898 and record the message. Run a shell script to convert formats and rename it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What they use as an excuse doesn't matter of a large perportion of thosoe they visit eithe rhave non working bells or bell they can't hear I doubt a speaker would make much difference. It's a bit like a person saying unless you give the specail knock I won't answer the door.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I wouldn't need to run a server to do that, I'd use a chip to store the audio data.

Reply to
whisky-dave

;-)

From reading the other posts on this it would seem what many do is fairly habitual. Their goal is to deliver your goods and move on ASAP and so they do what is most likely to give them that (as illogical as it may seem to us at the time).

I have also had the postperson knock / ring / flap to have me answer the door to take a banded bundle of packages that would have gone though the letterbox individually and in a way I'd rather they did that (but not not deliver them) than possibly damage something that had got to the other side of my door from China intact. ;-(

The other thing is how 'postperson friendly' your letterbox is. At Mums they had a large inward sprung-flapped chrome letterbox fitted that means you basically only have to push the package against the letterbox for it to go in (even if it doesn't go completely *through* [1]).

With ours you have to lift the other flap with one hand whilst pushing the stuff though with the other which I should imagine doesn't make their day *easier* as such?

Being as I can see out the front from where I typically sit, if I see a courier or postperson with something that looks like it might not go though the letterbox, I try to get to the door before they need to knock / ring / flap, not only because then it won't wind me up (a bit ) if they do that but because it saves them time or damage to my stuff if they try to push stuff though.

We have also formally offered to take stuff off delivery people (within reason, couldn't take a full height fridge freezer or sofa etc ) for neighbours because 1) that helps the delivery folk and 2) and that often knocks on re them being more flexible with packages for us. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m