door to door salespests

a 40% wanting to leave, which is what we got in London, I didn't realise s o much of the rest of teh UK was so against immigrants.

and less voted to stay, I see you havent; worked that one out yet. That's the biggest problem with remoaners is that they can't count. IUf' they'd had that inteligence enough to count they would have voted woul dn't they ? but tehy were too bone idea to go and vote. Or was it really true that more wanted to leave than wanted to stay ?

rward in a way that could be understood.

I'd agree and that's what I was told as a kid, so as an inteligent remoaner s they decided not to vote as I said. Brexisters didn't win remoaners lost.

So the previous use for those batteries ...... My dad had over 30 AA nicds he spent so much time charging them then puttin g them in the garden as night lights hopping they'll charge during the day.

At least that makes some sense. It does make me wonder why yuo had so many C enloops, they'd be good for to rches and toys but not sure what elese they might have been good for. C & D cells seem to be less used than they used to be.

Yes if yuor bell push used a soleniond to push a hammer back and forth hitt ing a bell, btu I thought your more modern ding-dong wouldn;t have such a t hing but would have ciricutry as there are other 'bell' options. I buit my own at school used a 40pin chip that help about 30 ring-tones you could get it to pick one relatively randomly although split into 3 banks o f 10 sounds. It was touch sensative too.

Just that a friend of mine on a baot is on the look out for old taxi battee ies they are better than car batteries something to do with the number of a mps you can pull taxis have a higher capacity and last longer apparently. Ask someone that's got a canal boat which sort of battery is best for scrou nging.

You'd be amazed at my battery box.

about 60 NiMH AA , a few of each of 3.6V 7.2V LiPo. A few lead acid 6V, about 300 CR2032s, Alkaline :- 30 PP3s , 30 AAA 40 AA, 6 X Ds adn 20 Cs

a few 2450s and SR44s and a selection of others . And 2 mobility scooter batteries.

So I guess I'm used to choose the correct battery for the job. So maybe it;s because it's a habit of me recommenting the right type of bat tery fro the tyope of job. A couple of weeks ago I dismanta;ed an old 3rd year project, it was still w orking but was intemintant, what I found was 3 AAA batteries in a AA batter eis holder held in with blu-tak.

So you would need 8 and not 4 for a working bell.

So you have 2 sets .

Your reason for choosing C is that the whole in the box was for C size cell s. I doibt you worked out what capacity recharagbles would run for X time.

u'd think it better to use recharables I don't know.

Lets say more convient then.

as long as you're happy but then some are happy with us installing more an d more windmills making merchant bankers happy last I'd heard.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Whoosh. I said the vote should have just been to leave, if you want to. The status quo was we were already in so that didn't need voting for.

'Right, who wants to carry on doing what we have been???' No, the onus was on those who wanted to do something different to vote to do that, not everyone else.

Aww bless. To be a 'remoaner' I would have to have voted Remain but I didn't. You don't seem to be able to get *anything* right do you? ;-(

No. It's those who had the intelligence to realise it was an unrealistic and unreasonable question that had no definitive answer who weren't forced into voting at all.

Yup, prod the lemmings and they will all follow each other over the cliff ... but not one of them knows why.

Like I said (but will repeat for the hard of thinking), it wasn't about wanting to continue doing what ever were already doing but who wanted to do something *else*.

Ok.

We may have all lost (on the 'beliefs' of a minority) mate.

Ah, so now you are at least asking questions, to learn facts to *then* be able to decide. Just unlike Brexit then. ;-)

A portable radio that took 4 C cells.

We have a solar powered porch light that seems to be able to cope (in the summer when it's least needed at least).

Well that's a step forward at least, you 'wondering' rather than just 'commenting'. ;-)

Radios?

Agreed but mainly because many things have gone over to Lithium.

It does ...

Mine doesn't, just an electro-mechanical solenoid driven one option 'Ding-dong'.

Yes, they were a fad at one time ... and very annoying.

Makes sense.

Most use Marine / AGM batteries for the engine starting and marine / deep cycle batteries for the domestic supply (often multiple 100+Ah

12V in parallel).

No, I was taking the P mate as I'm the one with the 'spare' C cells in my battery box remember? ;-)

Nice selection.

Ok.

12V x ~20ah?

And you would also be guessing that I don't of course?

As do I. Do you have a point (yet)?

Were you running the project by chance?

Wow, he can count! ;-)

I think he's got it!

It wasn't relevant. I had the C cells, I needed some C cells, I used the C cells?

Quite ... I had some rechargeable C cells, I needed some C cells, I used the rechargeable C cells? ;-)

I'm happy thanks but mainly because I think the penny has finally dropped with you! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's what I was told at school and how a referedum was differnt from a vo te but they also told me that due to nuclear power the bpostage to send you the bill would be more expensive than teh electricity you used so energy w ould be virtually free, and we'd be working 25-30 hours weeks.

Maybe you went to the same school I did.

No to be a remoaner you have to moan about the outcome irrespective of what you voted for. I doubt many of those that voted to leave are remoaners.

ouldn't they ?

So you're trying to tell me it was the most inteligent that didn't vote ?

Trouble is lemming don't do that sort of thing like jump off cliffs just be cause others do.

and for that to happen the only option was to leave. There was no option to change the EU and while we we're in EEC there was no option not for it to become the EU and while in the EU there was no option to change much if any thing other than what the EU polititions wanted to change.

forward in a way that could be understood.

ners they decided not to vote as I said.

Yes May did lose. I'm not sure whether or not you think the MEP's minority 'beliefs' were or are good for EU citizens with rising umemployment in spain, Berliners compl ianing that too many peole were speaking Englsih what the f*ck to they expe ct the world isnlt going to start speaking german all of a sudden. Strangle y enough I was told at college that I should take technical german if I wan ted to work in electronics in the furture (back in 1981).

No the facts are fixed it's just your POV that is differnt.

The POV of a DIYer might be differnt from that of a professonal. A DIYer may well use a scredriver to chisel out some wood. A professonal would choose a chisel, if he were told he wasnt; allowed to h e might them go through various 'best' tools and may well end up with a scr ewdriver.

ting them in the garden as night lights hopping they'll charge during the d ay.

True renewable energy, most productive when it's least needed.

Whether or not buying 4 or 8 for a radio is another matter. My radio casstte takes 6 Cs when I brought it it was a small ghetto blaster type and it needed the Cs for a bit of power output, but I never used it w ith batts I was never the sort of person to put ti on my shoulder and walk down the road annoying everyone with my music chocie.

Yep preparing for the new term. Me :- there's no eating or drinking in the lab, Student :- but I'm hungry/thirsty Me :- I don't care this is a teaching lab NOT a cafe Student :- But it says you can eat and drink in the ITL building in the han dbook. Me : This IS NOT the ITL building, and even then that only applies to out o f hours access.

Depends how you use your radio but generally speaking I wouldn't have thoug ht so. It does seem that C cells especaailly rechargable are going out of fashion. eneloop pro don't have C & D versions I'm guessing there's a reason.

Might be worth buying up the old C & D to build you're own UPS. But only as a DIY project.

My that's it, I have to instruct stends to use current ;-) technology for their designs as this isnlt a DIY project. Do not attempt to use our old lead acid batteris for designing a Mars rover .

he best option,

itting a bell,

realyl I thought it was a ding-dong that could be adjusted to other sounds I didnl;t think they uised the old style hammer on a bell. I guess if it's good enough for big ben then...

would have ciricutry as there are other 'bell' options.

Oh right that link must have been wrong then.

you could get it to pick one relatively randomly although split into 3 bank s of 10 sounds. It was touch sensative too.

as were those car horns. I've tried to predict what those in battery/silant cars will use when it be come illegal to drive silently.

Itls matching the corect type of battery with the apillication. Which is why yuo don'; see C cells used in mobile phone. Or even AAAs.Of course some cameras take AA or AAA but most high end camera have dedicated batteries for a few reasons I guess.

Yes they cost quite a bit, for a fraction of the cost you can get old taxi batteries from scrap yards that are still quite usuable. I doubt he could h ave used a bank of C cells.

Well your prorities are differnt.

Although I would like to know the relative efficiencies of each. Which I first though of years ago in that is it better for me to build a PSU for the bell or whether to use rechargable batteries.

They were planing on ruuning a renewable energy course unit here but not su re what happened to it. I only found out last we that we run 120 differnt u nits for our students so they are going to try to cut the number down.

battery fro the tyope of job.

You can use stuff that is on it's way out because your main aim is to save money ours is to educate and move on to better technologies. While I do keep discontinued components I won't let our studetns use them f or projects. It's like when I asked them 5 years ago to stop doing labs with 74LS76 chip s as they were getting hard to buy and to stop using 74LS chips in labs in general. trying to drag the teaching into the 21st century.

l working but was intemintant, what I found was 3 AAA batteries in a AA bat tereis holder held in with blu-tak.

No I don't run projects, the academics set the project which was design a t imer or device used in the olympics or some such wording.

So how often do you have to charge them ?

by the sea shore no doubt. But I was under the impression that you brought the C cells for the bell. As yuo said you brought them on offer ior cheaper than usual, soi I assumed you brought 8 of them for your bell unit, rather than bell ened.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, that would be a 'moaner'. The 'Re' bit implies an allegiance to the REmain side.

No, they will be failed Brexiteers that are moaning if we don't leave or leave on anything but with their hopes 100% fulfilled.

I'm saying given the lack of information it would be very difficult for anyone without an axe to grind on not on a crusade to be able gain a fully informed and reasoned decision that would be best for 'most people'. So, you had those voting remain simply to nullify a racist (as my Mrs and daughter did) and the ignorant who actually believed any of the hype they were given.

I was talking to a mate who lives in Denmark and he was saying that if we do leave the EU and the customs union (on the basis of a non binding poll) it will make things very difficult for the company he works for to continue buy the components they need from us. It's not the money, it's the inconvenience of getting a anything through customs.

Brexiteers do though ... proven by listening to them confuse (potentially empty) promises with fact.

Quite, and that's what the question should have been.

Who says and why would we want to?

Other than we as a member state along with all the other member states have the ability to change *anything* about the EU. Without all the member states there is no EU.

You *are* bonkers. How can my POV have changed, they are my batteries in my doorbell for my reasons!

Yes, and?

Yes, and?

Brilliant. You bought a portable appliance that you never used portably and you think me using rechargeable batteries in a doorbell is strange!

Portably?

Of course you wouldn't.

Of course, as more stuff moves over to Lithium.

I doubt it as few know what they are.

See, this is what happens when you 'don't think'.

What link? This one?:

What part of '2 notes' didn't you get? What part of:

More Fixed Wall Chimes

D113 - Surf D117 - Ding Dong D128 - Hockey D230 - Big Ben D239 - Bandera D454 - Warbler

confused you?

(Mine is in fact the D117 but they all look the same and work the same way).

Brilliant. You could put that idea to Elon Musk as obviously old Taxi batteries are the future!

Have you tested the capacity? Charge them up, put a 60W car headlamp on it (~5A) and time it down to about 10.5 V and it should be around 4 hours.

Only if you don't also want to use the best battery for the job.

I'm not sure it's even worth the energy required to work it out is it?

Whose aim is?

I'm using the best technology for those things I'm currently working on. Not the same thing as putting some batteries in a doorbell.

So infrequently I really couldn't say. That's the advantage of 4000 mAh eneloops mate. ;-)

And what does 'assumption' make?

Again with your assumptions. ;-(

Nope, I bought them for the radio then used them later on in the bell.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

hat you voted for.

SO remoaners are those that didn't get their way in a democratic vote.

and the remaoners are those that didn't get what they wanted.

d wouldn't they ?

So what's new that has happend since and before roman times.

While we were in the EU some were saying we should have gone with the Euro.

or they didnlt believ in the EU or rather Gemanys way of doing things, if you lok how Germany is doing they have far wore problems with racism and so do the Polish. I doubt you watched panorama last night. We don;lt want that sort of thing in the UK do we, or perhaps we do.

That;s the socist country that took the valuables from refuees and other mi grants entering their country (apart from wedding rings) to pay for their k eep.

well of course it will because the EU operates a closed market NOT a free m arket.

You should look at customs then. I bet it's easier to import crack cocaine.

because others do.

That'/s politics nothing to do with leaving or staying.

I remmeber that was one of the options on the voting form leave or remain were the two options I saw, did you see something else ?

what do you mean who says ? We as in the voting public voted to be part of the EEC NOT the EU. Is that so difficult to understand.

e was no option to change much if anything other than what the EU polititio ns wanted to change.

Which is why the EU wasn't working as well as it was as it expanded.

yuo POV is whatever you have to hand is best my POV is that you should use what is best, this is what education is about. if we just use what we have then we'd be sticking with coal and oil for the furture, and we'd still be using zinc choloride batteries wrapped in cardboard, I remmebr them D cells quite well they often leaked in my favaoutie toy which was a forklift.

Maybe that the point I'm used to looking at this from a teaching perspectiv e so whey a Q is posted I think what should be the say to arther than what a DIYer would do.

When I was sent on a workshop course to train students they showed me how t o use a chisel and the like (well I already knew), when back in my own depa rtment we didn't have any chisels for student use (we still don't) so what should a student do to chisel out wood ?

o he might them go through various 'best' tools and may well end up with a screwdriver.

exactly.

ter type and it needed the Cs for a bit of power output, but I never used i t with batts

Yep. All such equipemnt that was portable because I used it to record from a turntable in another room too, so it was portable. This is the exact model.

AAOSwQG5ZvSf%7E

It still works as my 2nd alarm it automatticaly switches on via a timer, (w hich wouldnl;t be the case if I ran it from batteries). But when I brough it about 30+ years ago there wasn't an option to but that model that didnlt take batteries.

Well if you want to walk along the street with it I guess so, but I didn't.

So yuo;re saying few know what a C or D cell is for.

h hitting a bell,

ds I didnl;t think

I didn't need to, I had one like that years ago. It too one had.

But how do they work internally that is the point.

xi batteries from scrap yards that are still quite usuable.

They are as much of the future as C cells yes that is my point well done. I would not advise eton musk to start usiong C cells for space X or Tesla c ars but he seems to already know that. Cab uo see why he hasn't brought up all the old eneloop C cells ?

No why would I , I put them straight into the mobility scooter where they w ere to be used, which is why they were brought.

C rechargables are NOT the best for that job, any more than lead acid are.

depends on you're aim I guess.

yuo';re so said you brought the C cells because they were on offer didn't y ou. That;'s not what I'd do here as we have little use for C cells.

I doubt such C cells are the best technology for door bells.

IS it if that is the case then it;d be even betetr using 6V moterbike batte ries they can go far higher capacity wise than 4 Ah.

I assumed you'd brough the C cells for the door bell unit.

med you brought 8 of them for your bell unit, rather than bell ened.

So why did you buy 8 ?

Like my friend did with the taxi batteries as they were no longer any use in the taxi.

Reply to
whisky-dave