Electric symbols - what does this one mean?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2643908/One-socket-charge-ALL-20-plug-cover-comes-built-USB-ports.html UK 3-pin sockets and two USB ports
========= Whats the 3 pronged symbol below the USB on the first pic?
On 30/05/2014 19:22, Simon Cee wrote:

USB.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB_Icon.svg
What is the meaning of this crappy sentence:
"It fits any backbox up to a depth of 35mm and USB ports are limited to 2 Amps, meaning only the required power is delivered to the devices"
How does a limit of 2 A mean anything of the sort?
And USB 3.1 has already overtaken the 2 A capacity...
The USB 3.1 standard is backward compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. Using three power profiles of those defined in the USB Power Delivery Specification, it lets devices with larger energy demands request higher currents and supply voltages from compliant hosts – up to 2 A at 5 V (for a power consumption of up to 10 W), and optionally up to 5 A at either 12 V (60 W) or 20 V (100 W).
I'd be hacked off to have fitted a houseful of these sockets and then find that they are inadequate for newer devices.
--
Rod

Bollocks. I fitted a 47mm back box:-)
--
Adam

On 30/05/2014 20:01, ARW wrote:

Perhaps it means *at* *least* 35mm - or will it fit in a 25mm box?
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 30/05/2014 21:54, Roger Mills wrote:

I find 47 mm a bit tight.

That simple eh? Boy do I feel stupid.
On 30/05/2014 19:44, Simon Cee wrote:

Most of the time that symbol appears moulded onto USB plugs, etc. it is usually simply embossed or debossed - but all the same colour. Hence very easily missed.
--
Rod

The gf has just arrived at mine, shown me the same link you gave and said "I want one"
--
Adam

ARW wrote:

MK (and others) make single or double euromodule USB charging points.
On 30/05/14 20:13, Andy Burns wrote:

I would not. Every 2 years I buy a new generic charger. Last time, 1A. This time 2A. The standard is too unstable to be bothered fitting into fixed wiring.
Hindsight is easy - but wouldn't it have been nice if USB had chosen 24V instead of 5V for the power line (data lines could still be low). 1/5th of the current more or less for the same power.
On 30/05/2014 20:22, Tim Watts wrote:

Handy for modern high-power USB devices but not very convenient when USB was developed in the mid-90s. Back then +5V was the most common logic supply voltage so a USB controller would already have a +5V rail to source the power and a low-power USB client device would be able to directly use a +5V supply. Using a 24V supply would have increased the cost significantly by requiring voltage converters at both ends of the link. It's unlikely that USB would ever have become successful if it had such a cost penalty to start with. For example there is no 24V supply in the most common USB controller - a PC.
A 5V supply was fine for the sort of low power devices originally envisaged for being USB-powered, like keyboards and mice. It's only because USB could start up cheaply that it had the opportunity to grow to the point of offering 5A at 20V in the latest specification.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
On 31/05/14 00:54, Graham Nye wrote:

Thank you and Andrew too. I had not noticed voltage switching had arrived. 20V? Interesting.
Does this mean that "bad code" now had the potential to blow stuff up?[1]
[1] One computer from the 80's could literally fry itself if an IO port was programmed wrong - was it an Apple II - cannot find it on google.
And I wonder if the voltage can be controlled from the computer side of the USB chipset - or it is something the chip is hardwired to negotiate from the USB side only?
Wonder what implications this has for dumb chargers and their cheaty resistor dividers?
On 30/05/14 19:22, Simon Cee wrote:

Nice. In the future* one will type in google "USB" expecting technical goodness, and end up on the spamming bigoting ill-informed universal site of immoral link trotting clap-trap that is reportedly the web edition of the daily mail, but really just a money plant.
* hmmm, typing in google seems it has already happened..
Has Russ Andrews thought about on-site advertising with them?
--
Adrian C

ARW wrote:

Well give her one quick you daft bugger.
Bill

Just about to
--
Adam

Done.
--
Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

That were quick. Takes me longer than that to swap a socket.
Owain
Simon Cee wrote:

It's a Trident. It represents Father Neptune, and means that the socket is OK to a depth of ten fathoms.
Bill
On Fri, 30 May 2014 19:22:28 +0100, Simon Cee wrote:

It's a toasting fork indicating where to plug the toaster in! :)
--

TOJ.