Mains sockets with USB ports

I fitted some of these on the living room wiring.

Screwfix ones shown as an example as I can't remember what ones I actually fitted

Just lately one packed up all together and just today one of them feels as if one of the USB sockets has physically given up the ghost.

I suspect these have broken as they were cheap is there any recommendation on type to get for longevity. Edinburgh Scotland region if applicable.

Reply to
soup

I swear by MK, but they are literally 4 times the price of the ones you linked to.

GB

I didn't buy from Screwfix, I bought from Wickes. Not had any trouble but the duty cycle I subject them to isn't too demanding [an Ipad, that to be fair isn't happy to charge on a lot of usb plugin supplies].

Screwfix do MK, and I have never yet found MK kit lacking in any way.

5 year warranty I think, I had a quick scan of the ad, I may be wrong.

Regards

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Bought mine from TLC. Wanted it to match other wiring accessories in the room, so not cheap. Never had anything to complain about things TLC sell. Been in constant use - phone and vape charging each night for about 3 years now. Could be the metal faceplate helps keep things cool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't understand the appeal of these - a plug top USB PSU is nearly as neat, and is easily replaced if it fails, while you can use a multi-socket USB PSU if you need to feed more devices. If you don't have sufficient 13A outlets to supply your USB needs then fit some more ordinary 13A sockets or use trailing power strips.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The appeal is simple, I fitted these where new sockets were needed, little cost overhead, no extra space needed, although I think there was some warning about minimum size backpoxes. Still it fitted those I had always used.

To be frank, I thought it was pointless doing anything else, increasingly USB powered devices are coming without supplies.

My last 4th generation Kindle came without, but the same item had one included a couple of years back.

It also give toddlers something to practice on before they progress to the 13A shuttered sockets.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Yeah - don't bother, replace with a decent socket, and buy a slimline plugtop USB charger.

Apart from what you found, the USB charging standards improve every couple of years and any charging socket will be obsolete in terms of providing the max charging current soon enough.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Nah that would involve chasing the wiring and redecorating. Having trailing power strips about the place is a(n increased) trip hazard. Much neater and easier just to replace the socket face plates with these USB jobs (assuming they last a tad longer than the 18 months these ones did).

Reply to
soup

It also means that the kids can't take the charger into another room and "forget" to tell you where they've put it. This works as long as you have plenty of leads, but you can get those for £1 each.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Taking up one of the two sockets whilst doing so, no good if you want to charge your device in the kitchen in the same socket(s) containing the kettle or toaster.

Personally, whilst my Samsung Galaxy S7 will fast charge, I generally don't because I'm not sure the extra heat generated is good for anything (charger, battery, phone etc)?

Plus I think you have to use a 'fast charge' cable (even on the right charger) to get a fast charge?

I'm not sure if the charging capacity of the mains socket USB itself is going to limit the charge rate of 'most devices', especially, if used singularly and without any special cables?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My phone (that needs recharging) is already much older than two years and I doubt I'll replace it for a few more......

... and surely new devices that charge from USB should be backwards compatible with older USB charging sources even though slower to charge.

Reply to
Chris Green

2.1A plug in usb for £2 in poundland according to bigclive. Just plug it in and switch it on when needed.
Reply to
dennis

My last 4th generation Kindle came without, but the same item had one

If you are sure its an isolated SELV device and not some cheap switchmode supply that may well be reference to mains?

Reply to
dennis

Many of these fad'ish sockets are being changed over by folks of little experience of electrical wiring. Kids doing it just for their iPhones...

How many disconnected earth rings, or general dodgy joints have now entered the UK housing stock, never mind the choice selection of the cheapest chinese shock hazard type from eBay and the like?

Big Clive and others have covered these on YouTube.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

This is going to happen sooner or later to all of them unless you're very lucky so I would suggest a far better alternative: the ones that convincingly resemble normal 13A plugs (if you can't bear the sight of a wall wart) as they are piss easy to replace when they fail.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Like most of these beasts, the 2.1A is shared between the two sockets.

I have found one 'cigar socket' 12V to twin USB device on Amazon which claims to be rated for 2.1 A per socket but, even that doesn't keep its output voltage at the unloaded point if loaded at 2A on each socket. It is better than the cheap ones but still a little disappointing.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Various offerings here ...

Adrian Caspersz

I dont think an smps is deliberately referenced to the mains. Without a ground reference, most SMPS provide a slight tingle, capacitive pickup I presume.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

You can buy the black Signalex 1.2A USB chargers (made in Birmingham) in Poundland for that money. Likewise the 1A slightly smaller made in China ones in white durable plastic from, afaicr, Poundworld. Both draw immeasurably small standby power (even when measured with my analogue watt meter).

I've been using the Signalex one for about a year now to charge my Joyteck All In One Vaping stick overnight (it only takes about two hours or so at a measured 4.4W loading to fully charge it from flat) and I leave it plugged in since it plainly takes less than a tenth of watt in standby.

I can't vouch for the long term reliability of the Chinese made 1A one since it was bought as a spare unit that's hardly seen any use.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

If you have this charging point somewhere convenient it is likely to show. And I can assure you a socket with 4 USB outlets is a lot more attractive than two sockets with 4 wall warts. And even more so than a trailing socket. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)