Flat-pack hinge oddity

Went to open a kitchen cupboard just now (over 15 years old) and there was a distinct cracking/snapping sound and motion from the bottom hinge.

Removed door, and sure enough one hinge is moving smoothly, but the other has developed some sort of resistance which needs to be overcome, and when it does there's a jerk and a snap.

this is opening the hinge. Closing is still smooth.

Visual inspection of the hinge doesn't seem to show anything amiss.

(I used to have q few of these in a box somewhere which has obviously been junked as "who ever needs those ?")

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No, it hasn't been junked. It's waiting until you buy a pair of new hinges and will then miraculously reappear somewhere where you were absolutely sure you'd already looked.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

... and/or of course the original hinge's problem will miraculously disappear! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

clearly I have found my people :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Oh no it won't! Sod's not that stupid as to allow the mere presence of handy spares to ensure against the need of a repair job to introduce yet another set of problems into some poor soul's life.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Seriously? :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Now if it had been irritating your wife, WD-40 would have been applied by now.

Reply to
newshound

WD-40 is not a lubricant to any great extent. The ultimate stuff for unsticking stiff or siezed metalwork is automatic transmission fluid. I'd apply a drop or 2.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't think it's stiff or seized ... metal is shine and clean. "Something" has failed where I can't see it. It looks like the spring force is held by a curled leaf of steel ... I suspect it's fractured inside where I can't see it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That's happened to quite a few of ours (they are quite old). Local ironmonger supplied new ones - five minutes - job done.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You might well be right, but your original description is not inconsistent with a sliding interface that is sticky in one direction. And the thing about WD-40 is that a quick spray will distribute it around everywhere. I agree that ATF is a good penetrating lubricant for metal. But IMHO WD-40 is quite effective for many combinations of metal and plastic, and it will help to free up rusty metal parts.

IME broken parts in kitchen hinges are usually revealed by that hinge no longer locating properly, but the only way to be sure is to take it out. Designs and dimensions are fairly standardised, even if there is no exact replacement it is usually not difficult to find something which works.

But I would still start with a quick spray!

Reply to
newshound

If you want to lubricate it, use a lubricant. It has a lot better chance of working. But as said it probably needs a new hinge. Easy to fit, but there are different versions available.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

WD-40 and the cheap clones contain a few percent of mineral oil with a viscosity of a couple of hundred centistokes. A perfectly adequate lubricant for something like a hinge.

Reply to
newshound

and lots of white spirit to wash it away! You might find it works, I couldn't with a straight face recommend it as a lube though. Baby oil, engine oil, any sort of mineral oil is far more effective and far cheaper. And less toxic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr