Problems with DeWalt 618PK anyone?

I bought a 618PK kit last year when they first came out. It was wonderful!! It operated so smoothly, I was truly astonished. Then came the problem. After using it to run maybe 16-20 sets of cabinet doors (cope and stick), and a few profiles with standard bits, the armature disintegrated. At least that's what I thought happened. I took it into the nearest service center, which by the way treated me wonderfully, as I couldn't locate my original receipt. They told me they would fix it at no charge. This was all just prior to this past Christmas. Well, one thing lead to another, and the part(s) they needed wouldn't be ready until mid-February. So the manager at the service center called the factory, and they decided to send me a whole new router instead of making me wait another 4-6 weeks! I thought that was very cool. Mind you, I didn't get an entire 618PK kit, but I did get the 618, complete with another base, baseplate, wrench, cord, the whole shootin' match. I think that is the way to treat loyal customers, and I shall remain a loyal DeWalt customer.

Now for the sad part. Today, I am setting up to run some more cabinet door parts, using the same Freud cope and stick bits that I usually use. I make one practice run on a rail, adjust the height of the bit a little, and go for another run. Since I am working with Red Oak and rather large bits, I have the speed set between 4 and 5 on the dial. During the second run, I hear a nauseating "SNAP!", and the motor spins up to full speed. I immediately shut it down, and did a visual inspection of the exterior. No problems noted. I set the speed all the way down to 1, fired it back up, and it spun up to full speed again. I removed the motor from the base and this time noticed a definitive rattle inside the housing. A rattle that should not be there. The entire amount of time the motor ran was maybe 30 seconds, consisting of 2 or 3 runs.

To make a short story longer, I uttered a few expletives, removed the bit from the motor, and closed up my shop. I will have to take the (brand new) motor to the service center which is located about 75 miles from me. I am hoping they treat me the same way this go 'round. I will let you all know how it turns out.

If anyone has had similar problems with the 618PK, please post your story here. Tks and happy woodworking...

Reply to
Haz

This will be no consolation nor will it get you your money back if DW decides against you. In my view, none of the 2 hp PK's can stand the stress of full cuts from cope and stick cutters for long. 16+ doors probably wiped out those cutters and a new router taking full bites with them could burn out. On the other hand, if you were taking 3 or 4 passes/cut, the 618 should stand that. Notwithstanding, 3 passes on a 22" x 16" door x 16 doors=~300 feet which is about the 1/2 life (or 2/3rds) of most cutters used for joinery. A full bite with a 3-4" panel cutter will smoke any 2 hp router, tho I have seen some diss a PC 690 with single pass panel cuts without killing it.

(Routers)

Routerman P. Warner

Pat,

After reading your diagnosis and then viewing your website, it became clear that you are far above me in the use of routers. Very nice, informative website by the way. And your work is beautiful!

I think I must admit to you and myself that perhaps I was being overly agressive with my cuts. I was making full passes on that first set of doors, but the router never showed any signs of distress. The motor hummed right along without a hitch. I will, however, take your advice and start to make several passes.

What bothers me about what happened yesterday though, is the fact that even though I made a full pass on my practice piece, which was the coped end of the rail, something failed prematurely. I honestly don't think yesterday's failure was caused by poor judgement on my part. Two passes on a 2 1/2" wide piece of stock! I believe this failure was purely due to a flaw in the machine.

When I get my replacement/repaired motor, I will surely be more gentle on it. Thanks for your enlightening input!

Reply to
Haz

snipped-for-privacy@patwarner.com (Routerman P. Warner) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

You'd think they'd put a shutdown circuit in them or something :-) Would you end up using a dedicated Hitach M12V in a table instead of these small 2HP routers?

ken

Reply to
Ken Yee

Another point: End grain requires from 4-6 times the power of a long grain cut, A hell of alot more if the cutters are dead and burning the profile. Was this first cut on the test piece scorched or burn-free? Not trying to get on your case; there are just a lot of suprises, unexpected surprises, in routerdom, PW

Routerman P. Warner

To answer your question, no, the end grain wasn't burned or even the least bit browned. The cutters are still very sharp and made a clean, solid cut thru the end of the rail. This failure was definately due to a manufacturing defect, which is being investigated at this very moment at the service center. I should hear something from them tomorrow or the day after. Although I know this was a manufacturing defect, I will surely follow your advice about making full cuts, not to mention I will be visiting your site on a regular basis.

:)

Reply to
Haz

If there was no burning I think you're right; the machine is sick. Pretty good motor, a shame you're having so much trouble with it, PW

Routerman P. Warner

Ok...the service center told me the factory advised that they were having problems with the magnets in alot of the 618's. I think they switched manufacturers, but not sure. The lady at the service center sounded a little apprehensive about telling me any details. At any rate, I got my 618 back and ran 4 doors. No problems noted. Motor hummed like a champ! Time will tell. Thanks for all your input Pat...

Reply to
Haz