Anyone for an 80 light bulb?

The Other John

Don't think I'll be bothering with that one :-)

Reply to
harryagain

I thought it was going to be a Russ Andrews lightbulb that had a special filter to stop optically induced hum :)

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Walked past it on the shelf a few hours ago, and thought much the same.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , The Other John writes

What I find odd is that it uses wifi. It doesn't say if it has wpa2 security, so will it work on most reasonably well set up home routers?

Wouldn't home automation (with which I am totally unfamiliar) be better done by mains-borne ethernet?

Reply to
Bill

The intelligence is in the marketing department, not the bulb

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Four pennies less expensive at John Lewis. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

I might consider it if the decimal point were moved in the right direction!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'd only consider it if the decimal point were moved in the left direction

NT

Reply to
meow2222

For me, it mustn't be in the wrong direction!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Right as in "correct", you fool!

Reply to
Roger Mills

There are mains borne signalling protocols. X.10 was the first in widespread use for home automation, and is the cheapest because the patent is long expired. Newer protocols have more features, but the price is much higher because they're still protected by patents.

However, this product isn't really aimed at home automation - I think it's rather more aimed at impulse buying. Wait until you lose your phone in the dark - if you could only switch the light on, you might be able to find your phone so you could... switch the light on...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

SNAP! :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

Which, in this instance, would be the right direction (the correct direction being the left direction).

Reply to
Johny B Good

Its marketting..

if you buy the screwfix lightwaveRF lamp and add the lightwaveRF gateway its about the same price (for one lamp, which is all you need to play with).

Reply to
dennis

Possibly in the long term, but at present far more people have wi-fi than ethernet over the mains.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Intelligent, is this one of those you used to see pictured over a cartoon characters head to represent an idea? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not a bulb specifically - but lots more WIFI remote control here:

Tim Watts

So humour is foolishness is it?

Reply to
meow2222

It is a bit like those earlier demonstrations of forthcoming products = like refrigerators with a built it computer to do your shopping list. It can be done - but is it honestly needed???

Reply to
DerbyBorn