Subject Author Posted Replies

Blocking a window advice please
Looking to block 2 windows, one in each upstairs bedroom. They are identical, size approx 1.2m x 1.5m. They are in a timber-frame extension that we added around 10 years ago, so the council will have...
22
22

Price increases
We should all brace ourselves for some hefty price increases on imported goods. The dollar being the main currency used to pay for imports is going to start having an impact pretty soon. With all this...
6
6

OT - bulk mailer software (for club)
Posting here because all the usual suspects seem to frequent this group. I need to distribute some details to all registered members of a club. Only around 60 at the moment, but it should be scalable....
37
37

Mapping sux
Why is it a lot of points of interest are incorrectly placed on google maps, satnavs etc? Look up an LPG filling station, or a supermarket, and they're often a couple of blocks out. Today I went to...
1
1

Cutting glass tube problem
I want a nice clean cut on glass tube. So I found the way to do it, apparen tly, is to use thread & fuel, light it, then dunk it in water. I've tried t hat over & over... and nothing happened...
25
25

"solid" pine internal doors
Hi, Is it possible to buy "solid" wooden internal doors or does everything nowadays have a chipboard core and wood veneer? I need to replace two doors that have been cut down. If "solid" doors can be...
18
18

Replacing hologens
Any reason why I should not try this. I have a set of 5 halogens in ceiling that I want to replace with maybe 3 x LED panels. As I am not sure how other half will like the light intensity etc I want...
4
4

Solvent free paint for woodwork
I wonder if anyone has any comments on oil based versus solvent free paints for woodwork please?
13
13

Wet-Dry vacuum cleaner: recommendations?
I'm considering buying a wet/dry vacuum cleaner, mainly to spruce up the carpets once a year. I'm looking at a VAX 6131 -- a friend had one of these, which I borrowed now and again a couple of years...
13
13

Sharpening chisels help
Any of those 3 could do the grinding. Belt sander and especially angle grin der run too fast, with those go easy & let it cool off a lot, you don't wan t to overheat the steel or it goes soft. Never...
27
27

Fed up with catarrh (OT)
The short term nuclear option is fisherman's friend. To keep it away, liquorice & thyme work wonders. About 16 soft liquorice sweets a day and a pinch of thyme in tea 3 or 4 times. NT
46
46

Not replacing car batteries
I decided to replace the Calcium battery in the US built people carrier on Monday. Went to Halfords as they offered a fitting service. The computer said that the car needed an 096 battery. Battery...
10
10

Porridge In Expansion Tank
I don't know what it is, but once you've scooped it out if it's fungal or bacterial a teaspoon of copper sulphate should stop it recurring. NT
6
6

OT - Samsung Galaxy S3 soft brick and Odin
Following on from a post in December by Mr. Pounder. My Samsung Galaxy S3 has just soft bricked itself for no apparent reason. It now freezes at the splash screen. It won't boot into recovery mode...
29
29

Fitting freestanding gas cooker to replace separate hob & oven
Hi all we have a separate hob and built in oven, both gas, mounted directly above each other in old but servicable kitchen units. Width is 60cm. I am looking at replacing both, and it looks like the...