Oscilloscope

My trusty Telequipment Serviscope S51A has decided it doesn't want to play after being in the (dry) loft for years. On initial power and warm up it did work apart from the X shift. Turned me back to three seconds and the trace disappeared and the normal combination of Y and X shift can't locate, even reflection/scattering, of the beam. B-( Reseated all the valves but to avail, they all glow nicely though.

Yes it's an antique but served my purposes well but I suspect it's going to need extensive fault finding. So I'm thinking that a decent budget modern 'scope is on the cards. Not looking for anything special The S51A only went up to 3 Mc/s and maximum of 1 uSec/cm.

Anyone got recommends/avoids for makers or models?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For a new one, Rigol work well and are very good value. EG DS1052E for £248

Otherwise, ebay. 'Scopes were once very expensive, now they're not.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I bought one of these recently -

seems reasonable for the price, albeit I hadn't used a scope for nearly as long as yours was in your loft, and even then I only had need of one very occasionally.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Probably capacitors dried up - replace and off you go into the sunset :)

(I bet the loft gets cooking hot in summer)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Dave Liquorice a écrit :

If something of lower frequency might do, there is an open source scope built using an MP3 case and high res colour display, which is rather good. Rechargeable, very portable, it works as a storage scope, on colour screen frequency/period display, voltage and lots of other data too. They can be found on ebay, copied by the Chinese.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Likewise, if you are only monitoring audio frequencies at logic levels then there are open source software oscilloscopes that work with probes attached via the USB ports. I've got one on my Linux laptop which I installed from the software repository but they are available for other OSs as well. I'm not near my Linux laptop ATM but if you want me to tell you exactly what my one is, reply to this thread and I'll check it out when I get home.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Rigol seem to have a good range of budget scopes. It would be worth watching some of Dave Jones EEVBlog videos on youtube - he has reviewed many of them.

Much depends on what you are doing of course, and whether you actually need / want storage capabilities.

If you want very cheap, then some of Pico USB based software ones, or you can even go to ones that use a sound card for input (obviously limited bandwidth and dynamic range)

Reply to
John Rumm

Banggood do new Chinese scopes for £15. But the old S51A should be fixabl e once you get the circuit diag. If not, someone will want it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hi Dave Where are you based? I have an old Tektronix (Solid State) 'scope I have been meaning to find a good home for for a while...

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

I have the DS1054Z, pleased with it, it's easy enough to enable all the optional features (100MHz, extra sample memory, triggering, serial decoding)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's proably about how much I paid for the S51 from a Radio Rally about 30 years ago...

I've go a trace back X shift and gain don't work properly but the time base and Y amps seem to. Focus is right at one end of the pot and I don't think it goes as bright as it did so checking power rails and electrolytics is in order. I do have a manual for it so hopefuly fettelable back into full working order.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well I was expecting a loud pop and bits of ali foil and lots of magic smoke to come out of the case when I powered it up this afternoon.

It gets cooking hot in use... there is something very calming about the smell of warm paxolin.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

DS1052E for

So three votes for Rigol, but some one said "budget", £248 is over budget. I was hoping for a basic CRT based jobbie for £50 ish.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

North Pennines. Which model? Tektronix rings bells of rather large trolley mounted devices I don't have the space for anything like that. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Dave Liquorice scribeth thus

I bought one of these almost new it was a few years ago 4 Channel and works fine:-)

I know he does some quite cheap ones from 50 odd quid sometimes worth a look.

tony sayer

Plenty of them are nothing like as big as that.

Reply to
Jim Bank

+1, I picked up an old Phillips storage scope (not that I wanted that functionality) a couple of years ago for less than the price of a budget 100MHz scope. All depends on what you want it for.
Reply to
newshound

No you want something like a Cossor 1035 :

Keep you warm on a cold day, and fit moving it about :)

Incidentally a 1035 was my first commercial 'scope when I was 17 which is nearly 50 years ago !!!!!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've still got a Tek 465 - as you said the one you saw in every repair area and CAR etc of TV studios. It is a bit large, but I only use it in the workshop. Have a cheap small battery one from Ebay for simple stuff 'in the field'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)