Subject Author Posted Replies

Knob next to fireplace
There's a knob - like a doorknob - attached to the wall on each side of the fireplace in my Victorian house. Anyone know what they were for? Attaching a fireguard perhaps? The fireplace in Alice...
27
27

measuring devis
I want to measure the width of a groove which is only about 3.5mm wide and 1-3 mm deep. Ordinary Mitutoyo calipers with pointed tips are not much good for this application due to the shallow nature of...
17
17

Auto phone calls, when the utilities have issue?
I have just replaced our phones, with a set which filters out nuisance callers, unless they are live callers who can follow a proceedure to get through. My new concern is that we sometimes get...
45
45

Rededa vices
I've inherited a large Rededa vice and would be interested to find if anyone out there knows anything about the company that made this brand eg the name of the company, where they were based and...
3
3

Shed of the year
Just finished watching the final episode of 'Shed of the Year'. Enjoyable, although I wouldn't really class a lot of them as sheds. But the voting was all over the place. As with Brexit, you just...

OT Farage in the USA
Wednesday, August 24, 2016: Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage, aka 'Mr. Brexit', spoke at the Donald Trump rally in Jackson, MS. Nigel Farage Speaks at Donald Trump Rally in Jackson, MS
7
7

Ply for woodstore roof
I'm putting together a woodstore, but am wondering what to use for the roof, I've been considering ply, but even the exterior stuff will need felt, it seems. Or would Flexacryl or several coats of...
7
7

Plumbing instructions self contradictory?
Vaillant condensate circuit information: It is not necessary to provide air breaks or extra traps in the discharge pipe as there is already a 75mm high trap inside the boiler. Fitting an extra trap...
2
2

Digital caliper case
Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it,...
5
5

Bostik
An old Land Rover manual says to use "Bostik" when applying the grommets to the bell housing as well as when attaching the dust cover to the front output shaft housing. I guess this dates back to when...
12
12

BBC GCSE quiz
I'm a clever rabbit!
40
40

Sealer tape
My caravan, now nearly 10, is showing slightly raised damp readings in part of the roof. I know from experience that internal dampness doesn't necessarily indicate the point of ingress, but that...
10
10

Replace NiCad with NiMH cells Makita [UPDATE]
Harry Bloomfield has brought this to us : My 16 ordered Ni-MH cells (needed 15), with solder tags - arrived yesterday morning, so I set to it in the afternoon to rebuild my first battery pack... It...
18
18

UPVC window handle (top)
Some of the plastic bits inside one window handle have broken. A quick look shows many window handles with the statement "fits most windows". For example: Now "fits most windows" also means "doesn't...
3
3

uPVC French Doors - stripped screw holes
Doing a routine clean and lube on my french doors and found the bottom locking mechanism strip a little loose. Tried to tighten the screws and a couple turned without gripping. Any ideas on how to...
6
6